plastic around rear window

BigMattfromNJ

Established Member
Has anyones weather striping that goes around the back window every fallen like out of place. Mine is messed up on the drivers side. Also the plastic isn't sitting all the way back like it shoiuld. Does anyone know how to fix this

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Happens all the time to the F-150 back glass. The seal cannot be purchased separately. It only comes with the surround and you have to remove the surround to install the seal. It's a bitch. Most of the time the plastic splits by the 3rd brake light assembly.

My cost on the surround is $150 just FYI.

en89vo

Established Member
I just had mine replaced. I had the pre-recal plastic suround on mine...it was broken near the 3rd brake light and was leaking into the truck. It cost me a little over 3 hundred to have a professional glass installer replace the surround. That include the price of the surround...now I'm leak free and the new surround looks a lot better!

BigMattfromNJ

Established Member
Mine isn't leaking yet thank god. I just hate the way it looks. How hard is it to change the surrond to change ride the? Is it something anyone can do or do you need it done by a professional?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Anyone can do it. You could change it out in about an hour. The only thing that you would need to by would be a roll of Butyl seal and some 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover.

Buytl seal is about $20 and the 3M crap is about $10 from Napa.

Very simple job. The hardest part is cleaning up the glass frame and the cab to get all of the old buytl seal off. You also need to be careful that the old seal does not spider web when you are pushing out the old glass. Jut cover your interior with trash bags or old blankets.

MJG

Established Member
Can someone tell me why my 01 rear surround differs from the 04's Ive seen?

The edges of mine are flush with the cab, while a few 04s Ive seen have this round, bulgy bead around the edge which sticks out quite a bit

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
I'm needing one of these for the 00 L I just purchased. Mine is cracked by the third brake light, the seal has fallen inside behind the surround trim (not sure if it suppose to be behind), and the top of the surround is totally loose.

If you buy it on-line at a ford website will it include all the fasteners and weather strip?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
They are about $150 if you get them from Ford at employee price of cost + 10%.

They come with the outer seal for the window surround but they do not come with the Butyl seal for the window itself or any of the nuts for the back side of the surround. You can get the Butyl seal at Napa. Give Chris Nelson a call and he can take care of you for that seal.

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
Ride The,
I'm looking to get the weather strip, plastic surround, and nuts. Which seal can Chris get? I'm confused. thanks.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
You have to remove the window first before you can remove the window surround.

There is a Butyl seal that goes around the glass itself. That seal is what seals the glass to the cab to keep water out. If you remove the window from the cab you will need to replace that seal. It is just a sticky rope seal.

The surround has been superseded to the later design that has the outer seal around the surround.
DSCN2102.jpg

Why would you need to replace the nuts?

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
I'm guessing one of the nuts are missing because I can pull the surround out about two inches at the top near the cargo light. I thought you could just remove the surround without touching the window.

Last edited:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Yes, everything is unbolted from the inside of the cab. It's easier to remove the headliner, upper B pillar trim and the trim along the bottom of the window. You can have the window and the surround out in under 30 minutes.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Ahh............................not even close.

If mine breaks again I'm not sure if I will sand and paint another surround.

It sucked monkey balls.

Users who are viewing this thread