Playing around with some night shades

TqMnster

Established Member
Had a spare can laying around so I figured I'd tint my taillights. Turned out well and still haven't checked then out in the dark to see exactly how they light up but I like them.

Taped up:

IMG_20120527_210835.gif

Taped removed and a couple light coats. Before wet sand and clear coat:

IMG_20120527_214322.gif

All finished up:

IMG_20120528_171206.gif

Would've liked the striped areas to show a little more but I didn't want to get real dark with it and risk a ticket. They are still noticeable though and it's the subtle differences that make them stand out I think. Just need to figure out the easiest way to get to the side markers now!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TqMnster

Established Member
The picture actually captures the tint quite well. It's a very deep red now. Not quite black. Installed a sequencer setup this evening for some added light and slowed the flasher down with a capacitor soldered in. Looks awesome if I do say so myself lol

Yeah hickory isn't that far. My uncle lives up that way.

Last edited:

SvtCobra.5000

Established Member
I'd go darker also, mine are pretty much blacked out although still visible when the lights are on and brakes pressed. The local cops around here are cool with it but I get hassled all the time for it in the next city over its already cost me $232 in tickets but it looks to damn good for me to go back stock. So I try to stay out of that part of town.
42576897-b7d2-989f.jpg

TqMnster

Established Member
Yeah I went with the blackout look on my gto but I'm trying to keep as much unnecessary attention of me as possible lol here's a little better pic now. Hard to catch one of it lit up on my phone.

a6f84a16-7e60-1e4e.jpg

Vicious805cobra

Established Member
Had a spare can laying around so I figured I'd tint my taillights. Turned out well and still haven't checked then out in the dark to see exactly how they light up but I like them.

Taped up:

IMG_20120527_210835.gif

Taped removed and a couple light coats. Before wet sand and clear coat:

IMG_20120527_214322.gif

All finished up:

IMG_20120528_171206.gif

Would've liked the striped areas to show a little more but I didn't want to get real dark with it and risk a ticket. They are still noticeable though and it's the subtle differences that make them stand out I think. Just need to figure out the easiest way to get to the side markers now!

Do you have any pics of the taillights on at night?

TqMnster

Established Member
Yeah I definitely should've went one more coat before I peeled back the tape lines. May try it again and make the lines a little thicker if I come across a set of cheap spare taillights. Will try and get some pics tonight

TqMnster

Established Member
Lit up, hard to catch with my phone...

ae60574e-7424-7e06.jpg

ae60574e-7435-9ef3.jpg

I know, it's DIRTY lol washing it in the morning before I leave for the beach!

rthouck

Established Member
I like it. You blacked out the rear panel as well? Plasti Dip or paint?

TqMnster

Established Member
Yeah, I redone it. It's satin black krylon haha wasn't happy with the first attempt cause I rushed it but it's professional looking now.

Gotta give props to vader or however it's spelled. Saw it on his car and it looked completely awesome, plus I'm not a huge fan of chrome bits and pieces

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread