Please advise, selling Vette and Bought 04 Cobra.

ANIVNM

Established Member
I just purchased and 04 Cobra, guess I have to change my name now that I am back on the Ford side...forgive me. That was the license plate on my Corvette.
Anyway, I have heard some horror stories about busted rods, pistons, etc with the 03/04 motors when more boost was introduced to the equasion. Is this true? Is there a difference in the bottom end on and 04 from and 03? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I ahve been a Vette owner for two years and I did not keep touch with what Ford was doing with this car. Glad to be back!

ANIVNM

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Glad to have you back! The 03 and 04 bottom ends are identical. The Terminator bottom ends are among the most durable to ever come out of Detroit in a mass production vehicle. There are numerous members on this Forum running 600+ rwhp without Nitrous. The stories you may have heard usually originated from guys that bumped the timing up, raised the air/fuel too high, or were careless with MAF and fuel delivery requirements......all of which can be fairly simply avoided.

ANIVNM

Established Member
Set,
Iron, thanks for the tips. I dumped 22,000 into that Chevy and I still missed mu damn mustang, don't know why, but I am anxious to take delivery of the 04. Do younknow anyone here that can run a vin code for me? The were guys on the Corvetteforum that do it, but thay would likely bash me to death for this kind of request...know what I mean. Thnaks in advance!

ANIVNM

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
If its any consolation, I'm running between 12-14 lbs of boost out of a 2.75 RR pulley since 1000 miles. I know have 17,000 miles and I beat the thing like a red headed stepchild. I love it to death, though.

ANIVNM

Established Member
Sweet...that is what I like to hear!! Now I think I can be a little happier with my purchase. Sooner or later I will grenade it and rebuilld the whole bottom end like I did the vette, forged everything, and pump the boost up as high as it will go. For now I will get it moving, and start picking everyone's brain about what mods to do first. Thanks again!

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
Here's the mods I did-And got some serious results 465hp/498lb/trq:
JLT Ram air intake
Amazon idler pulleys
2.75 upper Reichard Racing pulley
Mac Prochamber Off Road H-pipe
Flowmaster cat back

Support/Suspension mods
Maximum motorsports full coil over kit w/castor camber plates
MM full length Subs
MM IRS bushings
LFP heat exchanger/IC resevoir
Pro 5.0 shifter/MGW handle (Gm synchromesh fluid w/friction modifier)
Steeda Clutch Quadrant/firewall adjuster
Autometer Apillar Lunar boost/fuel press gauges
Chrome Cobra R Replica wheels 17X9 and 17X10.5
315 Nitto Dr's

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
Here's the mods I did-And got some serious results 465hp/498lb/trq:
JLT Ram air intake
Amazon idler pulleys
2.75 upper Reichard Racing pulley
Mac Prochamber Off Road H-pipe
Flowmaster cat back

Support/Suspension mods
Maximum motorsports full coil over kit w/castor camber plates
MM full length Subs
MM IRS bushings
LFP heat exchanger/IC resevoir
Pro 5.0 shifter/MGW handle (Gm synchromesh fluid w/friction modifier)
Steeda Clutch Quadrant/firewall adjuster
Autometer Apillar Lunar boost/fuel press gauges
Chrome Cobra R Replica wheels 17X9 and 17X10.5
315 Nitto Dr's

W/ these mods I lay the smack down on my old man's 03 Z06.

ANIVNM

Established Member
Man that is sick...these friggin motors are so damn efficient. What did the engine mods cost you? maybe a few grand tops??? Should have bought one long time ago...I will miss the vette though, but once I am laying down 500 RWHP...It should help heal the pain!

DitchTehFish

Established Member
AWESOME!!!! You're going to love the Cobra. In stock form if you think it's fast, think again. These cars have so much potential with such easy modifications. :coolman: Enjoy...

ANIVNM

Established Member
I will like it!! I just need to get it up to being a fast as the vette first, then once the vette sells, I will have a nice lump of cash to start working on the Cobra...early Christmas!!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
ANIVNM said:
Man that is sick...these friggin motors are so damn efficient. What did the engine mods cost you? maybe a few grand tops??? Should have bought one long time ago...I will miss the vette though, but once I am laying down 500 RWHP...It should help heal the pain!
Welcome back! I sold my '03 last summer but when it was mine it was putting down 504 rwhp and 494 rwtq. That's actually pretty modest compared to what a lot of others are getting. And I did that with the following basic mods. Inexpensive overall and easy to do.
Magnaflow catted X-pipe
Steeda catback
Steeda CAI
Apten ported Eaton (Steigemeier)
Accufab throttle body/plenum
2.80 upper
Diablo chip tuned by Amazon Racing
Denso IT22 plugs gapped at .035
Dual Focus fuel pumps
MAF modified by JDM

I had no problems at all with my Terminator the year and a half I had it. Some were not so lucky buy like IronTerp said many had issues due to a faulty tune or other factors not related to the factory. Enjoy!

ANIVNM

Established Member
Is anyone aware of any good tuners in Texas? 109 degree summers will really throw a fork in the operation if the tune is off...want to be safe.

Orange Poison

Established Member
ANIVNM said:
I will like it!! I just need to get it up to being a fast as the vette first, then once the vette sells, I will have a nice lump of cash to start working on the Cobra...early Christmas!!!!

That shouldn't be that hard :lol1:

Glad you dumped the Chebby....

ANIVNM

Established Member
I wouldnt think it would be that hard. I know the Cobra is rated at 390 but what are some real world stock RWHP numbers? I have no idea. My Vette was pushing around 435 at the crank and 485 ftlbs. So I do have my work cut out for me, but it's going to be a whole lot easier this time around. No $5000 dollar bottom ends, no $3000 heads, no problems with the crappy batch fire ignition which was in no way flexible...should be a cake walk compared to that car... :)

davbrucas

Banned
ANIVNM said:
Is anyone aware of any good tuners in Texas? 109 degree summers will really throw a fork in the operation if the tune is off...want to be safe.

are you on dfwstangs.net? mike at dallas mustang uses the SCT software and has a lot of happy customers. give him a call. if i were you i would take the blower/TB/plenum off now and send them to stiegemeier for porting
( http://www.stiegemeier.com/index1.html ), talk to doug at billetflow.com to get his 2.93 pulley with the 4 idlers, get a metco 4lb lower pulley from LFP, a borla stinger catback, JLT true CAI, then get a KB BAP, SCT MAF, and tune from james at runninwiththedevil.com and you will be all set...look to make 520rwhp/530rwtq with the above. or you can take your car to get a dyno tune at dallas mustang. personally, i would go with james. good luck. :beer:

ANIVNM

Established Member
Davbrucas,
i do not want o mess with the blower at this point, when the vette sells I will buy a daily driver than I will get the blower ported or get a whipple. I know the guys a Dallas Mustang, I bought tons of stuff from them for my 98 Stang. I will go see them. Thanks for the advise! I will be doing exactly that real soon....

Users who are viewing this thread