Please help diagnose engine noise - S/C Roush 4.6L 3V

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Car is 2010 supercharged Roush, 4.6L 3V, 24psi boost, 625rwhp. Earlier this season, I went for a ride and noticed an engine noise. When I revved the engine a little bit, it sounded like a loose timing chain was rubbing against something, so I immediately suspected a broken chain guide.

So I bought new Ford timing chains, heavy duty MMR guides, along with two new Ford phasers, and two cast iron tensioners. Heck, I even bought a new timing chain cover, cause it was so cheap, haha.

Anyway, I take off the timing chain cover and I see no problems at all. Nada, the chains and guides are perfect. Tensioners and phasers, I'm not sure. I'm gonna replace all these parts anyway, since I already bought the stuff.

My next suspect(s) is a weak/broken valve spring or possible a rocker?? Any thoughts are welcome. I'm kinda stumped, and worried........... Thanks

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Can you replicate the sound while looking under the hood and pinpoint the general area? It might be something just loose and rattling around that isn't even engine related, like exhaust.

If you're sure it's internal, first thing I would do is pull the plugs and have a look. 24psi is serious shit. If conditions with the fuel/ fueling/ air and water temperature etc are not 100% correct, it doesn't matter how well put together the car is. (I'm sure you know that). I'll keep my fingers crossed it's something simple.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Thanks, I'm 99% certain it was engine noise.... a light noise though, not something like a rod knock..... but you never know.

I've got the timing cover and chains off. About ready to remove the cams, then will check each rocker and valve spring. I guess I am likely stuck with removing the valve springs. Do you know what tool to use for removing the valve springs with heads on and cams out?

Thanks again.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I have not yet figured out the exact issue. I am awaiting delivery of a new valve spring removal tool, the one I bought recently just will not work. I have everything off except the valve springs. I bought a valve spring tester just so I can verify every spring is good. Plus I have new valve seals to install.

After I get springs and seals done, I will install the new Ford rockers, lifters, phasers, timing chains, and guides..... and hope for the best. Damn, I hate 'fixing' something this way, but I'm a little bit out of my league with this engine. If it was a big-block Chevy, it'd be a vastly different story, haha.

While I was buying parts, I found a brand new timing cover (with pulleys) at Tasca Ford for $157, I had to buy that too, lol.

BTW - I did pull all the spark plugs and they looked perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread