Please Help Me. My Car Majorly Overheated And I Am Freaking Out. I Dspratly NeedHlp

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Alright I just read your whole post, you did have a temp reading from your stock temp gauge. I don't know then. Tried to help. Hope you get it figured out though. I am sure it is something small and you will get it figured out. I was freaking out when it happened to me as well and then I looked closer and was like oh shit that isn't supposed to be unplugged. Problem solved. Good luck man.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I didn't read the whole thread but a failed radiator cap shouldn't be that extreme. But real quick, from an OLD post I searched here:

Teflon tape on threads + new radiator cap = no more leaky

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
FLYIN said:
...snip... Sounds like you are not seeing open loop. The car is acting like it does when it first starts up (closed loop).

FLYIN...you have that backwards. The car is in open loop when it's cold and is first started. Closed loop is when the O2 sensor is up to temperature and takes over the fuel control. (closes the loop) A DTC may or may not put the car in open loop...depending on the problem.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
Had this happen several months ago and its very typical of air in your coolant system. Just filling up the coolant reservoir does not get the air out.

You have to fill the reservoir, then take the cap off the upper coolant pipe (the big black one high up on the driver side near the blower) and fill the coolant from there as well, recap it, run it it for a bit and repeat the process untill you cant get any more coolant into it.

even a reasonably small air pocket will cause our cars to suddenly overheat, steam and spew coolant all over the place.

when it spews it goes all over the place and so can be difficult to pin point, but its usually from the coolant cap on the reservoir.

good idea to check all the coolant hoses and make sure all the clamps are tight and in place and not weird bulges on any of the hoses.

generally all you need to do is properly fill and burp the coolant system and your good to go, a night and day difference if properly burped.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
FLYIN...you have that backwards. The car is in open loop when it's cold and is first started. Closed loop is when the O2 sensor is up to temperature and takes over the fuel control. (closes the loop) A DTC may or may not put the car in open loop...depending on the problem.

Fixed.

ArcaneParadise

Established Member
That is exactly what I first thought too. I bled the coolant system through the bleeder valve but that definately did not fix the problem. I also checked all of the hoses that lead to the radiator, because those are the only ones I know of that belong to the cooling system, but everything on that side looked normal. I am sure that it is something wrong near the rear of the engine.

BuffDigits said:
Had this happen several months ago and its very typical of air in your coolant system. Just filling up the coolant reservoir does not get the air out.

You have to fill the reservoir, then take the cap off the upper coolant pipe (the big black one high up on the driver side near the blower) and fill the coolant from there as well, recap it, run it it for a bit and repeat the process untill you cant get any more coolant into it.

even a reasonably small air pocket will cause our cars to suddenly overheat, steam and spew coolant all over the place.

when it spews it goes all over the place and so can be difficult to pin point, but its usually from the coolant cap on the reservoir.

good idea to check all the coolant hoses and make sure all the clamps are tight and in place and not weird bulges on any of the hoses.

generally all you need to do is properly fill and burp the coolant system and your good to go, a night and day difference if properly burped.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Ford will probably suggest it, but I would change my thermostat before going back on the road. In the past, every time I have overheated, the thermostat has been a casulty. Plus it's cheap insurance. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck.

03yellow

Established Member
+1

SnakeBit said:
Ford will probably suggest it, but I would change my thermostat before going back on the road. In the past, every time I have overheated, the thermostat has been a casulty. Plus it's cheap insurance. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck.

03yellow

Established Member
If you dont hear anything "knocking" after you refill the radiator and start the car you are probally ok.

ArcaneParadise

Established Member
I brought it to the dealership.

To make a long story short, they ran every test possible on it and they found absolutelhy nothing.

Everything worked just fine. The fans worked, the cooling system did not leak a drop of coolant, and they did multiple tests on it.

Also, I drove it around today in 90+ degree weather with no problems.

It is very odd... So yeah, that is the deal.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Thank god for that

My story ended with 1 blown apart head, and one cracked head, but mine ended happily too with a new head and a rebuilt one courtesy of ford.

Glad to here its working out for you. I understand your pain, im 20 myself for another few weeks, and it terrifies me when stuff breaks, because its never cheap with these DOHC pieces of crap =p But they sure are the best bang for your buck car out there for the under 30 crowd =0

Users who are viewing this thread