Please help. problems caused by dealer not properly filling oil

yelo03infl

Established Member
I took my car in to the dealer for an oil change, picked it up tonight and drove about a mile and the car stalled out on me. when i restarted it there was a slight knocking noise and i heard one small screaching sound. i immediately drove it back to the dealer, checked the oil and it was at the minimum. the head technician there at the time wanted to fill it up and i told him to leave it alone and i would come back and see the service manager in the morning. i left and came back 30min. later because i did not feel comfortable with not having the key and it being locked and the guy had already put more oil in it and said the noise was gone. What should i do. do you guys think my motor is shot now from the noises i described and what action does anyone think i should take? The technician there was trying to bullshit me and tell me that he doesnt think ill ever see a problem from it but i disagree. Any info will definitely be appreciated. thanks.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis
I think you should change your own oil.

That's crap. Go to a different dealer that will take care of you better. Aslo Narcosynthesis I really did think about doing this and was thinking that if somthing major went wrong with the car I would'nt have any record of getting my oil changed. This way if you spend the 20 bucks maybe a little more if you run syn then ford can't void your warrantie because of somthing stupied like not changeing your oil if somthing major happened. They would'nt have any records of changing oil anywere if you do it yourself. Never know what ford might try sometimes. Why risk it.

Last edited:

yelo03infl

Established Member
thats what im afraid of. what ford might try to pull on me for this screw up. does nobody think there will be any permanent damage to my engine? thats what scares me.

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
File a formal complaint in writing to the GM
at that dealership-cc: it to SVT & Ford-That way
if something goes wrong it will be documented.
Further-make sure you explain exactly what
transpired with the re-fill. Personally,I think you
probably are OK as you said the oil was at the low
mark but that wouldn't be enough to cause a
major problem-Did the engine oil light come on?

Last edited:

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Originally posted by yelo03infl
the dealership owes me five free ones so i was going to use them up first.

I don't think your motor will last 5 oil changes. F**k the free oil changes or go elsewhere.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Originally posted by LCCOBRA
That's crap. Go to a different dealer that will take care of you better. Aslo Narcosynthesis I really did think about doing this and was thinking that if somthing major went wrong with the car I would'nt have any record of getting my oil changed. This way if you spend the 20 bucks maybe a little more if you run syn then ford can't void your warrantie because of somthing stupied like not changeing your oil if somthing major happened. They would'nt have any records of changing oil anywere if you do it yourself. Never know what ford might try sometimes. Why risk it.

Rhino ramps cost 20 dollars. Just because the dealer gives you free oil changes doesn't mean you have to use them.

Also, I record when I do my oil changes and the mileage in a little book. That is more than enough to prove I change the oil.

rdvenom99

Established Member
Your engine should run fine with the oil level at the minimum mark. Definitely shouldn't cut out like that. My dumb sister was driving her '92 4.6 liter T-Bird around with 2 quarts of oil for 2 months and it still runs perfect. Don't ask me how!

yelo03infl

Established Member
what worries me though is the stalling and the knocking noise it made. im not worried about it being low on oil but so low that it caused that response. and i do not think i should be worried about a ford dealer changing my oil,especially if it is done for free. if it worries someone to have the company change your oil how in the hell could you feel comfortable throwing down 35,000 for a vehicle they built. think about it.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
There are 2 reasons why I change me own oil instead of letting a dealership do it.

1. Removing the oil filter makes a mess on the steering assembly.
I use heavy duty aluminum foil, slipped under the oil cooler and formed into a ramp to channel the oil which leaks out of the filter down into my catch pan.

2. Most places don't pre-fill the filter.
If the filter is NOT prefilled with oil, when the engine is first started, there are several seconds where it is running with zero oil pressure (until the filter is filled up). I prefill my filter before draining the oil out of the engine. This gives the oil time to soak into the filter media. Then I add a little more to the filter and replace it with the above mentioned foil still in place b/c a small amount will leak out when the filter is turned horizontally.

If you don't prefill your filter, then you should at least disable your fuel pump (either unplug the inertia switch in the trunk), or use a plain key i.e. no PATS chip, to turn the engine over several times without starting it. I keep such a key in my wallet in case I lock my keys in the car. Just go to a locksmith and have him/her cut you a key using a plain Ford blank. It will open the door, and crank the engine, but without a chip, it will NOT start the car. This key is also handy to use when doing a compression check, although I still unplug the inertia switch for that to make sure no fuel is sprayed into the cylinders at that time.

Sometimes "free" costs too much.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeBit
2. Most places don't pre-fill the filter.
If the filter is NOT prefilled with oil, when the engine is first started, there are several seconds where it is running with zero oil pressure (until the filter is filled up). I prefill my filter before draining the oil out of the engine. This gives the oil time to soak into the filter media. Then I add a little more to the filter and replace it with the above mentioned foil still in place b/c a small amount will leak out when the filter is turned horizontally.

If you don't prefill your filter, then you should at least disable your fuel pump (either unplug the inertia switch in the trunk), or use a plain key i.e. no PATS chip, to turn the engine over several times without starting it. I keep such a key in my wallet in case I lock my keys in the car. Just go to a locksmith and have him/her cut you a key using a plain Ford blank. It will open the door, and crank the engine, but without a chip, it will NOT start the car. This key is also handy to use when doing a compression check, although I still unplug the inertia switch for that to make sure no fuel is sprayed into the cylinders at that time.

I don't know where you got your info, but I'd like to see some facts that justify your actions. Pre-filling the oil filter, c'mon are you really serious? Disabling the fuel pump!? Special ignition key!? Never heard of such a thing UNLESS the motor is brand new and has never been started. Then I can see going through all the hassle of ensuring the lubrication system is primed and pressurized before you start it for the first time.

I'm sure pre-filling the oil filter makes you feel better, and in theory it probably does reduce engine wear by .00036% over the life of the car, but does it really make a big difference in the long run? What about when you start your car after it’s been sitting for 24 or more hours? Takes a few seconds for the oil from the pan to work it’s way up and into the heads, aren’t you worried about all the damage being done then? I mean if you are going to go as far as pre-filling the filter for each oil change, why not just go completely nuts and pre-lube the engine before every start?

What does this say about the state of our motor oils these days? Aren’t they designed to leave a film of oil on all the internal parts so there will be reduced wear at every start up?

I commend your actions and it’s very obvious you care a lot about your engine and it’s longevity. I just think you are misguided on the amount of possible wear & tear you’re preventing with this procedure. I'd like to hear what the local resident oil expert (Cobra'03) has to say about this....

U.M.

Last edited:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Ever hear that momentary knocking when you first start it after an oil change? That's your motor self destructing. Pre-filling the filter reduces this.

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis
Rhino ramps cost 20 dollars. Just because the dealer gives you free oil changes doesn't mean you have to use them.

Also, I record when I do my oil changes and the mileage in a little book. That is more than enough to prove I change the oil.

Where did you find Rhino ramps for $20 and will they work for an 03' Cobra?

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
Ever hear that momentary knocking when you first start it after an oil change? That's your motor self destructing. Pre-filling the filter reduces this.

No I haven't.... Have you ever seen the amount of wear caused by starting your car after it's been sitting for 24 hours or more?

U.M.

DPS

Established Member
I'm going to have to agree with these guys uncle meat. I always fill my filter with oil before I put it on. I don't know of anyone who has data to prove that hearing metal to metal knocking noises in the engine after an oil change due to not filling the oil filter will cause any specific amount of damage, but I'm not going to risk it with a 12 - 13 thousand dollar engine. Those oil passages in the engine are supposed to flow oil, not air. Besides, I though that was one of the big things with using synthetic oils becuase of the quick flow of oil to critical engine parts during startup? It seems as thought the oil company's think it is a big deal anyway. Just my opinion, but oil in the filter means oil to engine parts quicker.

:beer:

Matt M PA

Established Member
When possible, I pre-fill my oil filters too.

But, the way modern oils cling, I think it may be a bit overboard to be THAT worried. Just because there is "no" pressure, doesn't mean that there is no lubrication or coverage either.

I have changed the oil in my Bronco every 3 or 4 thousand miles since new. She now has over 80,000 and runs great, pulls stong, no smoke. Oh yeah....and I cannot pre-fill the filter due to it's location.

Uncle Meat

Established Member
Exactly! I think some folks are fooled into thinking that pre-filling an oil filter is going to pay off in the long run with less wear & tear on their engine. I think this is wishful thinking myself... How many times do you start your car when the engine is cold? I don't see any of you worried too much about that! Is the amount of time an engine is without full oil pressure after an oil change that much when compared to a cold engine start? I don't think so.... If this prqactice gives you peace of mind, then go for it! It's not hurting anything that's for sure!

U.M.

stevieb

Established Member
Originally posted by Uncle Meat

What does this say about the state of our motor oils these days? Aren’t they designed to leave a film of oil on all the internal parts so there will be reduced wear at every start up?
They do leave a film between metal parts, in fact if they didnt you would have metal to metal contact and very premature componant failure. Besides I find it very difficult to fill a filter and have it hold liqued in a horizontal position. Engines have had horizontal filters since the beginning of time, if it was a crucial issue there would have been talk of this by everyone under the sun for the last 100 years. Point being, there is enough of a film of oil on the parts for the split second it takes the pump to build oil pressure.

Heres a tip for those who change their own oil and hate the mess when the oil filter is removed and drips all over.
I take a punch (a phillips screwdriver works for those into using the wrong tool for the wrong job), and punch a hole in the filter and let the oil drain out before removing the filter.

Very neat job.....Unless you drop the filter into the oil drain pan and see how big of a splash it makes.:cryying:

Users who are viewing this thread