please help with lean condition

greg03vert

Established Member
:mj:I just bought this 03 cobra and inherited what seemed at first to be a tune issue.
Long story but here goes.
The car had VMP blower w/ 3.3 pulley, "FuelAmp" voltage booster set at constant 16.5v. Stock pumps,maf, and injectors. Car had a street tune done by owner. Car has widband that read 12 ish a/f when pushed in 2nd and 3rd gear. I drove the car from socal to vegas and could barely make it over the hills as the car leaned to 17+ on the widband and fell on its face with ANY boost under part throttle with NO recovery. When I pulled over and tried lower gears again the car ran fine. Major part throttle issues. So.....I bought the following mods prior to going to my tuner thinking it's a tune issue and I had these in mind for the car anyway:
BA3000 maf
3" pulley (17psi)
60# injectors
I installed it all and drove the car lightly to the shop (Shelby in Vegas)
The car went on the dyno and the tuner called and said the car cant be tuned. He tried to give it more fuel in the tune and rail pressure dropped to less than 30 and leaned to 18 so he sent me on my way to get it fixed on my own with no more info than that. I started datalogging with the old tune best I could watching pump duty cycle, voltage, load, frp. I drove it just hard enough to see a/f lean to 16-18 with no pinging, checked the log and saw duty cycle never reached past 20% and frp never dropped lower than 37. I then went ahead and changed the fuel filter and took it to another guy at Dyno Jet Carl is very helpfull) and he checked it and said fuel is good and just needs tune. Problem is I am into Gil at Shelby for money to be credited towards the tune, AND I have a Diablo and Carl uses SCT.
My question is: All I did was replace the filter which was not clogged so what else can I do to check this thing before I find out on the dyno that it STILL cant push enough fuel. Should I shotgun it with new pumps/fpdm/frp sensor? Is there a way I can get a close enough ball park tune to do more datalogging and road tests myself because the delima is the car has the stock injector/ stock maf tune in it now and of course does not run right enouph for and heavy load testing. I will gladly pay someone to just fix it and tune it but I can't seem to find that person. I just want my car to get dialed in. I was thinking put the kit with GT pumps in with the modded fpdm and pprv delete and take to get tuned. What else is left? Or could it possibly be the fuel filter all along? Could it be the fpdm? could it be the frp sensor? My head is spinning and I need someone who knows these quirky returnless systems to fix it. Car has 30k miles and 6k on the filter I just replaced. BTW has new plugs.
ANY help would be greatly apreciated. [email protected]
702-281-6360

SNK-BITE

Established Member
If your pumps are not seeing more than 20% DC then you definitely have a tune issue. My money say your MAF transfer function is way off. I wouldnt throw any parts at it until the tune is moving in the right direction. I would datalog battery voltage and actual voltage at the pumps just to rule out a voltage issue but, Like I said your going lean with a 20% DC then the tune is not commanding fuel in accordance with the rising MAF counts.

greg03vert

Established Member
Thanks guys, I think I am going to get an sct and turn it over to Carl. He is giving it way more attention and the other guy doesn't seem to care about it much.
I want to check everything I can first though, so what else could it be? I just keep thinking when we call for more fuel it's going to be the same thing.
When I drive the car (which is no more than 40% load and under 4000rpm because lean cond.) VPWR is over 13v, frp is 36 to 42, pump duty is under 20%, FPDM voltage is 16.5, but a/f hits 18. Other shop said it ran out of fuel (down to under 30psi at the schrader vlv) but we can't see that now without turning it up. I'll take it to Carl and if we run out of fuel I guess I'll get the GT pumps/fpdm kit and delete the ffrp while I'm in there then let Carl have at it. At least he will stick with it.

slo4now

Established Member
Tune

Just like the other guys said. Take it to Carl. I've had Carl tune my carb YFZ 450 quad, my 2001 Cobra, and my current 2013 GT. I have NEVER had any issues with my cars. It is money well spent. It sounds like you are trying to fix things yourself but the things you are trying to fix won't fix the fact that you have a stock tune in the car with a ton of aftermarket parts. Also, if the Diablo came with the car when you bought it then you really aren't out any money for it. Buy the SCT tuner with tune from Carl and sell the Diablo to get some of your money back. Maybe the tuner at Shelby will buy it from you?? ;-)

greg03vert

Established Member
yep

Thanks all. But not really trying to dial the car in myself, that would be foolish. Just trying to fix a low rail pressure issue the guy at Shelby said I have to fix before he can tune the car and I have NOT been able to log any press drops on guage or frp. Looks like the pumps give up only when you try to add fuel in the tune which Gil tried but not sure because I was never able to get 2 friggin seconds of his time on the matter. Seems like a shop like that would be able to help with that but I, and others, am shocked at thier reluctance to offer those services and instead took my money and offered no diagnosis, no data, no info and said bring it back when you got fuel. It then went to Carl and that is where it will be going next Wed with new GT pumps, modded FPDM, PPRV deleted and of course a new SCT handheld. I bothered the guy at Shelby with real and logit questions to the point where they just gave me my money back and we parted ways. I WILL NEVER GO BACK. I have heard many stories like mine that reflect the same. They are just too busy for a lil ol terminator like mine. Gotta have a 1000HP GT I guess. It's a shame because I know how good this guy can be if he feels like working with your car and he did a great job on a Whipple car I had years ago; but they have other things on thier plate now. Dan H. vouches for Carl and Carl has already helped out .
So anyone want a predator?

Users who are viewing this thread