Please help

mach1033

Established Member
Yes i plan on putting the eaton back on and if everything works out gonna drop a whipple or a kenny on it.

I can only assume that this is going in a mustang gt. With that being said everything that was in the 03 cobra has to be put in your car. Chains, front accessory, engine harness, computer, heat exchanger, intercooler pump, injectors. Do you have a wrecked donor car?

strokedstang86

Established Member
I have a 03 cobra. Bought a stroker shortblock from livernois motorsports and the block has a crack in it. Needed to know if the 2 valve block would work with no problems.

strokedstang86

Established Member
Will the 2 valve block hold just as much hp as a 4 vavle. Would hate to put high dollar parts into something that wouldnt hold up.

mach1033

Established Member
Will the 2 valve block hold just as much hp as a 4 vavle. Would hate to put high dollar parts into something that wouldnt hold up.

My advice to you would be to go get an 03/04 cobra short block from Toulsley Ford. It is piece of mind. It has been my experience with a few buddies of mine that all went to "built" short blocks. One is on his 3rd motor which is now a Cobra block and zero issues. The first two motors grenaded. My second friend went through two motor's as well. He is now going to get a Cobra short block. The rest of us who kept our stock motors are still driving lol and only voluntarily bringing our cars in to get worked on.

mach1033

Established Member
No problem. If you go to the vendor forum's you will see toulsley ford. You will get a 10% discount for being a member on here and they have a great rep. Also dont misunderstand what I was saying about built short blocks. They are plenty of guys on here that have success with them. I just dont see the need unless you are going for some serious power like 800 plus.

Last edited:

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
Never seen anyone with a 2v block have issues besides shooting the shitty stock 2v rods through them, which most likely would happen with any block + those garbage sticks. But if you're going to have machine work and everything done i see no reason not to buy a NEW cobra block. Arent they like 300-400 bucks??:shrug:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you use a Cobra crank in a GT block I believe clearance for the crank center counter weights will need to be machined in.
Other than that, I don't think there is a lot of difference.
Maybe knock sensor boss clearance? This is the case with a Teksid aluminum block, don't know if GTs have those.

You are talking about BARE BLOCKS I HOPE???

Last edited:

2FNFAST

Shinin' and Whinin'
Established Member
Jimmy, the gt blocks that came in the cars from 99-04 did not have any knock sensors or the bosses for them, however in my frpp "terminator" block, they have the bosses cast into them, which I had to remove. Nothing like grinding the shit out of the valley on a brand new longblock. lol

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
2V block = 4V block, no difference other than the knock sensor bosses as noted above.

Crank clearance is not an issue unless you have a stroker motor, then it needs to be checked.

Only thing that worries me is a stroker 2V motor may have PTV issues depending on the compression. If it was built for boost, you should be ok, but I would check it with modelling clay before trying to fire it up. FYI 2V pistons have valve reliefs in the wrong spot for 4V heads.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
2V block = 4V block, no difference other than the knock sensor bosses as noted above.

Crank clearance is not an issue unless you have a stroker motor, then it needs to be checked.

Only thing that worries me is a stroker 2V motor may have PTV issues depending on the compression. If it was built for boost, you should be ok, but I would check it with modelling clay before trying to fire it up. FYI 2V pistons have valve reliefs in the wrong spot for 4V heads.

Great point!

I wish people would not use the word block by itself unless they are talking about a block. The freaking BARE BLOCK!
That is so wide spread and causes so much confusion!
I also want to scream out loud every time I see the phrase "forged block"...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:bash::burn:

Short block, long block, and bare block... that one extra word makes a world of difference.
I need another coffee.:rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread