Plug install problem...HELP!

66GT350

Established Member
Well, I guess it's always the simplest of projects that seem to take the most time. Anyway, went to change out my plugs yesterday (thanks to all of you for the info) and encountered a minor problem........the ba*tartds will not come out!!!!! I mean, they will not budge, almost like they are siezed or something. I've heard of problems getting original plugs out, but this is rediculous. I've worked them about as hard as I dare for fear of breaking one off in there (a whole new problem I don't want to deal with). I mean the way it feels now, I think I'd have to go after them with a breaker bar, not something I've ever really had to do. And, yes, I have a correct plug socket that is seating all the way onto the shoulder of the plug (as far as I can tell). I even called a buddy to make sure I wasn't screwed up in how they thread, being my first mod motor (you know left to loosen, right to tighten...LOL).

About the only thing I can think of to do is to get a little penetrating oil down in there and let it set for a few hours, hopefully then I can break them loose. Get them out and go in there with a plug chaser and clean out the threads. The only other option is to run her up to the shop I use occasionally and see if they can get them out with an air gun (my compressor's being repaired).

Have any of you guys encountered this problem? Sure would appreciate any help you guys could offer.

duane v

Established Member
Spray some WD40 or liquid nut in the spark plug bore let it set for about 10 to 15 min., reconnect the spark plug wires and start your stang and let run for 30 sec., and remove the spark plugs...DA snake Boy!!!

1QIK-SNK

Established Member
I dont know if this will work, but maybe you could get you motor up to running temp and shut it off then try to take them out.
Just a idea.
Good luck !

duane v

Established Member
Originally posted by tang350
Thanks guys.....I'll give your idea a shot Duane, sounds like this has happened to you too.
Yep, the first time I swapped my stock plugs in me 98 4V'r, I thought someone played a trick on me and used the red loc-tite on the stock plug thread:nonono: One thing I didnt do was chase the plug threads on the head, didnt want to chance any metal flakes landing in the combustion chamber. All I did was use a generous amount of anti-seize on the new 764's plug threads, and torqued them down to 15 ftlb and have had great luck on changing my plugs since...btw I change my plugs every oil change and or everytime I take it apart, which has been way too many times:rollseyes DA snake boy!!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
If those are aluminum heads, warming them up will make a big difference - it expands & contracts enough to make a difference on threaded items.
A friend of mine fabricated a front shaft case bushing for my old muncie 4-spd (GTO). Made it a little oversized, froze it, and then installed it in the trans case. You couldn't have beaten it out with a sledge hammer once it cooled-off. He was one hell of a machinist.

Dan

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
I would NOT try to take them out with a warm engine.:(

But definatly try one of two products to help break those puppies lose. I guarantee you that one will work (provided they aren't cross-threaded in there.

Spray some PB Blaster penetrating oil in there and let it sit about 30 minutes, then hit it again. Drive it for about 5 minutes or so until it gets warm, get home, spray it again. Let it sit for an hour or so, and then go at it. I have trouble waiting for stuff like this, but you kinda have to.

You can try PB Blaster it works great...but I'd almost go a little stronger. http://www.storesonline.com/site/598452/product/AKN Kroil
This AeroKroil stuff is called "The Oil that Creeps", and machinists use it all the time. Its incredible, and I think it would make easy work of those stuborn plugs. A buddy of mine (A Fox Body Stang guru) used to steal them from his work as a tool & dye man, and use it on old rusted bolts, etc. It made my jaw drop. Give it a shot.

Good luck!

Last edited:

duane v

Established Member
You can remove the plugs from aluminum heads 20 mins after running your engine to operating temps, 20 mins is all you need to wait...DA snake boy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread