• No

Votes: 9 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Looking good Brandon! :thumbsup:

Man, you really had a tough one to start out with!!! :eek:

The hardest part of those will be just getting them started. After that it should get easier with each step.

We have been getting waves of rain and bad weather here in Dallas, hopefully you are OK from the real bad stuff.

I look forward to see how it turns out. :pop:

Oh yeah, How are your arms feeling? LOL....

LOL! Yeah it was in pretty bad shape to start with but as long as I keep working in sections it should come out pretty good. Heck anything is better than what I started with.

It is starting to thunder outside right now. The forecast calls for rain from midnight tonight until early monday morning. Pretty much cuts out Landon's first easter egg hunt. I'll get up early (since I have been getting up at 0500 for work lately) so I can get started again. Then go to church and visit family. Hopefully finish up that one and head back to Tulsa again. Hopefully I will get a bid on a job in OKC by the middle of the week that way I can come back home and then just commute to work when they call me. If that is the case I might just have this all done by next weekend. Only bad thing is YOU got me started on a detail kick and while I was under the car I noticed plenty of things that need some spring cleaning. Good thing is my 4 to 5 hour drive to DFW the first of May just might talk me out of going really crazy since I'll just have to do it again when I get back home.

Blownsob

Blown Member
Established Member
As soon as mine gets tuned and everything I will be doing this.. I think it will just add to the looks that much more. Subtle yet noticable..

forcefedcobra

Established Member
As soon as mine gets tuned and everything I will be doing this.. I think it will just add to the looks that much more. Subtle yet noticable..

It is a PITA but I know it will be well worth it. Just make sure if you need any help that I will be at work that weekend! LOL! I'll be back in BA tomorrow night. We need to meet up. I havent seen your car but I have seen a SY with gloss black powedercoated fr 500's running around.

Blownsob

Blown Member
Established Member
Yeah the one you have seen is a KB and has 2 black stripes going back from the hood vents correct? Mine looks just like the sig... Yeah we need to meet up so we can show each other our toys.. lol. We are having a local meet on the 16th at 7pm at buffalo wild wings in BA.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Yeah the one you have seen is a KB and has 2 black stripes going back from the hood vents correct? Mine looks just like the sig... Yeah we need to meet up so we can show each other our toys.. lol. We are having a local meet on the 16th at 7pm at buffalo wild wings in BA.

yeah that is it. I'm not big on those stripes or fr500's but his gloss black ones dont look bad on SY.

I have been keeping an eye out for ya. I'm in my white gen 1 L that has a Hallett sticker on the back driver side glass.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I'm almost done Kevin. I lack doing a final buff on one. The other is done but I am going to hit some spots on it again because there is still some slight tiger stripping from the mandrel bender. They look good considering what I started with and will have to do until I buy a new catback.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I'm almost done Kevin. I lack doing a final buff on one. The other is done but I am going to hit some spots on it again because there is still some slight tiger stripping from the mandrel bender. They look good considering what I started with and will have to do until I buy a new catback.
Sounds good Brandon. Please post up the results when you are finished. I am curious on how it will come out seeing what you started with. :pop:

Ralo

Established Member
I did mine last night and it doesn't seem to have the same amount of shine as yours sleeper. Could it be because I finished with 1500 grit or I polished by hand?

BlueMach1

Stang Family
Established Member
Me and another club member are going to do this one weekend when we get a chance and the weather is nice. I have a few questions.

1. How long does this normally take?
2. Should we do both at the same time?
3. And lastly(most important)...Can we split the materials on doing two cars?

Thanks...we both can't wait to do this!!! His is a mystic cobra which is basically flawless. We will get some pics as well.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Me and another club member are going to do this one weekend when we get a chance and the weather is nice. I have a few questions.

Thanks...we both can't wait to do this!!! His is a mystic cobra which is basically flawless. We will get some pics as well.

it depends on how rough your catback is. Mine was in horrible shape and in order to get it looking like Kevin's would take a HUGE amount of time because it is so beat up and dirty. If you look in my previous post there is a picture with the supplies. I used all but one sheet of each grade of sandpaper working on mine in order to get it looking halfway decent. Still despite the fact that my old catback will never look as good as a brand new one that is polished it was worth the effort. It looks so much better than before.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I did mine last night and it doesn't seem to have the same amount of shine as yours sleeper. Could it be because I finished with 1500 grit or I polished by hand?
Most likely because you polished it by hand. You can not match the speed and get the same results as a cotton buffing wheel on a drill by buffing by hand.

I would get a cotton buffing wheel and try it again. I'm sure it will come out much better! :thumbsup:

Brandon is correct. It depends on what your are starting out with. I started out with a brand new Borla kit and it took me about 2.5 hours per pipe non-stop of sanding.

I would only recommend doing 1 pipe at a time. Your arm needs a break after 2.5 hours. LOL.... Trust me. Do 1 one weekend and the other the next weekend.

Some of the materials you can split like the Mothers Mag Aluminum Polish and the Cotton Buffing Wheels, but you will use up a lot of sandpaper. It depends on how much sandpaper you get of each grit.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
i think maybe with a box/mouse sander it might cut the sanding time down severely and wont hurt your arms :thumbsup:
I would think it may help. Give it a try and chime back in with your results.

Do you use the soap and water in between sanding stages?
No, I put a small amount of soap into my spray bottle. (Like 1 drop of Dawn for the whole bottle of water) Then I just wipe the pipes down with a paper towel or rag between stages.

Ralo

Established Member
Where did you get the cotton buff wheel that attached to the drill?

Stroked03

Mobile paint works
Established Member
I did my stingers I am pretty pleased with the out come the only problem is 4" tips and my Saleen rear bumper had a big fight:( So now I'm replacing the bumper but here's a couple pics

yes1.jpg

yes2.jpg

yes.jpg

Stroked03

Mobile paint works
Established Member
about 3 years ago i did the old flowmaster cat back it looked like crap so i tossed it but for some reason the flowmaster pipes looked larger than the borlas and significantly better fitment
16.jpg

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Where did you get the cotton buff wheel that attached to the drill?
Home Depot in the power tool section. It was a kit of 3 wheels and some compound that you don't use made by Ryobi. It cost about $9 or so.

I did my stingers I am pretty pleased with the out come the only problem is 4" tips and my Saleen rear bumper had a big fight:( So now I'm replacing the bumper but here's a couple pics

yes1.jpg

yes2.jpg

yes.jpg
Looking good! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread