Polished KB...what to use

jlbush

Established Member
Ok so trying to clean up a polished KB 2.2 bit before I put it on, however, I'm not sure what I can even use on it. I'm looking for whatever will give me some good results but I'm also not going to spend all day on it either. I have various cheap products like mothers chrome polish, mothers mag alum. polish, etc...but it looks like there is some pitting as well. Could I use a 1500, 2000 grit sand paper or is that a big no no.

My thought was use a 2000 grit sand paper on the pitted areas and see what it does at first depending on how it does either get more aggressive like 1500 and then move on from there and work my way back up to higher grits and wet sand with 2000 and then just spread around some mag alum polish work it in a bit and wipe it off....and call it a day.

It'll have to be done by hand and my main concern is some of the pitting that I see (I'm pretty sure that's what I'm seeing)

Thanks in advance for the advice:beer:

BTW yes I did a search but couldn't find anything about pitting on a polished blower or what products were safe to use on it...I don't even know what metal the blower case/plenum/snout is...

BajaBoy

Established Member
It'll have to be done by hand and my main concern is some of the pitting that I see (I'm pretty sure that's what I'm seeing)

I see thing being your biggest problem. You can use the sandpaper to get pitting out but without some kind of high speed machine you will be left with a very dull surface.

Doing it by hand will take forever and never give the results as a power tool

DietCoke

Slow Turtle
Established Member
Hit it with some abrasive compound, and a good hand tool with an aggressive ball. Get some heat into it, and the compound should take care of light pitting. Finish with a clean ball or buff pad with some aluminum polish. For less maintenance, have it clearcoated afterwards

layzie

Established Member
Go to your local auto store and ask for the little silver can called neverdull. But it, wipe it and be done!

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Mother's mag polish, lots of elbow grease and a final protective coat of Rejex. That's what I used on my 2.2

Users who are viewing this thread