Polishing/cleaning raw magnesium?

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
I know this isn't the normal "how to polish/clean..." question, but I thought some of you might know.

I have an FR500 intake that is suffering from some corrosion and blemishes as seen below. Does anyone know the best way to clean the raw magnesium without discoloring or ruining the finish? I tried to contact a couple FR500 intake owners, but I haven't gotten anything back from them. :(

FR500_Intake_Spots.jpg

FR500_Intake_2.jpg

tag4car

Established Member
i would go over the surface with a scotchbrite pad and something like simple green or rim cleaner, magnesium will respond to an aluminum polish. maybe a powerball

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
Scotchbrite pad woked OK, but I didn't want to rub too hard for fear of rubbing off the finish. The blemishes are coming off a little bit, but are still on the surface. I'm thinking the Simple Green might be a little too acidic?

Anyone else have any other ideas that I could possibly try?

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the idea, I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say and post up with what I find.

:beer:

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
Before you begin cleaning, sanding, grinding on magnesium you should be aware of the hazards. While magnesium has great heat transfer properties and it is light weight it has the bad characteristic of being a combustible metal in dust, chip form.

You will want to clean the intake in a way that you do not generate dust. If you ever generate dust be aware that it can ingite with only a spark and once ignited water will not put out a magnesium fire, but it will make it a lot worse. (magnesium burns so hot is dissassociates H2O in hydrogen and oxygen which intensifies the fire). DRY sand or a fire entinguisher rated for combustible metals would be the best way to put out a magnesium fire.

I don't want to be dramatic, but in large casting form (i.e. an intake) there is minimal hazard. But in dust form watch out! You shouldn't generate too much dust from sanding, but I thought you should be aware of the hazards.

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
Back to the top with this. I contacted Orison Aircraft Company and they didn't have any products that would be able to remove the oxidation and pitting in the finish.

I already tried lemon juice and that did hardly anything. Does any one else have any other ideas or suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread