Polishing gears rear gears?

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
Has anyone ever heard of this? Some guy is selling gears polished, and made a claim that he polished a guys transmission gears and rear-end gears and it went from 226rwhp to 243rwhp. Now, to polish the cams, cranks, rockers and such would make sense to me. However, I am a bit skeptical of this polishing the gears in the tranny and rear to make such a staggering gain. I am not looking to purchase gears, already got what I need, but I was more curious about this subject in general if it has any merit to trans parts and rear gears, excluding motor parts because polishing those make's absolute sense and I already thought they were polished from the factory anyways.

Wouldn't the gears eventually polish themselves anyways after running for a bit?

Side note: I feel his claims of over 20rwhp on pulling apart the trans and polishing them were in part to a rebuild that he didn't mention and thought wasn't important when stating his claims about polishing the trans gears and rear gears on said vehicle with alleged gains.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've heard about it in race cars. Guys looking for every last HP and tenth of a second. For a street car? I wouldn't bother.

railroad

Established Member
I think Jack Roush Racing does this, as other Nascar teams. Check with Revan Racing, he was trying this to quieten some gear whine.

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
I think Jack Roush Racing does this, as other Nascar teams. Check with Revan Racing, he was trying this to quieten some gear whine.
I'm not interested in doing this at all lol. There is a guy selling this service with his overpriced use gears he is selling. So I was merely curious about this process, as I felt he was selling a service that wasn't truly needed to the average Mustang owner, even a decently modified Mustang as well. So, I just wanted to look into it and see if I was pre-maturely assuming he was full of shit about it's gains on all cars. I did some side research, you won't see any gains on a street driven car. Just like Slo97 said, to the guys looking to squeeze every ounce of power out, it's what it's for.

I had never heard of this process on rear gears and transmissions, so I was just curious about people's experience and thoughts. That's all

Users who are viewing this thread