"polishing" sunglasses

king nothing

Established Member
Anybody ever try this? I have a pair of oakleys that flew off my head today and got scratched. I was thinking, if we can polish paint, glass, and metal, why couldnt I try to polish the scratches out of my sunglasses. i have a dremel tool and an old, really scratched pair to practice on. what kind of polish would i try on these?

Skrapmetal

Established Member
If your Oakleys have that iridium coating, you'll probably ruin them by polishing a scratch out. It's just a film, as far as I can tell.

But if not, maybe it could work. Doubt I'd use a dremel though...

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Why would this go to smackdown?

Because he would rather insult you for some reason, instead of giving constructive input.

As far as polishing them, you might want to check into the show n shine section. What some of those guys do in repairing paint and whatnot is ridiculous.

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
Anybody ever try this? I have a pair of oakleys that flew off my head today and got scratched. I was thinking, if we can polish paint, glass, and metal, why couldnt I try to polish the scratches out of my sunglasses. i have a dremel tool and an old, really scratched pair to practice on. what kind of polish would i try on these?

I've had the same problem in the past. I have a pair of those fancy titanium framed oakleys...great sunglasses...frames will last forever. Unfortunatly, the lenses don't. You should be able to go to a sunglass hut or similar establishment and purchase new lenses. Not sure what model you have but for mine the replacement lenses run around 100 bucks.

Juruense

Banned
God is trying to tell you not to wear ghey azz oakleys OP, listen to him and throw those ugly things in the bin.

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Try tooth paste with your finger. i scratched an old pair of my spys that were polarized and it took alot of the scratches out but the deep ones were still there. I'd give it a shot. Also try the show n shine section I'm sure someone in there knows something.

whiplash306

Established Member
Try tooth paste with your finger. i scratched an old pair of my spys that were polarized and it took alot of the scratches out but the deep ones were still there. I'd give it a shot. Also try the show n shine section I'm sure someone in there knows something.
Yep, toothpaste works wonders on removing small, small scratches from plastic objects...be it watches, some plastic based mirrors, glasses, etc... Give it a try!

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Dont recall asking for your opinion on my taste in sunglasses. When I want it, Ill let you know though.

LOL burn

king nothing, are you in my head? I was thinking this exact same thing earlier when I was looking at the tons of small scratches on my Ray Bans...

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Tell us what frames and color lenses you have. Oakley doesn't make many sunglass lenses without the iridium coating. I'd most likely recommend just wearing them as is. If the scratches are really that bad, you can replace the lenses on almost all Oakley glasses, just check their website.

king nothing

Established Member
Tell us what frames and color lenses you have. Oakley doesn't make many sunglass lenses without the iridium coating. I'd most likely recommend just wearing them as is. If the scratches are really that bad, you can replace the lenses on almost all Oakley glasses, just check their website.
Unfortunately the scratch is directly in front of my eye LOL. I can pick up a pair of lenses on ebay. they are whiskers with the black lenses (not reflective)

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
If you really like them, send them to Oakley and have new lenses put in. It's cheaper than a new pair. Unless you have the open frame kind. Then just get the new lenses and do it yourself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread