Politics + LEO's = Revenue (?)

Will A Town Request More Tickets To Raise Revenue?

• Yes! And My Insurance Premium Proves It!

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No Way! Roads Here Wouldn't Suck So Bad If They Did!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Don't Know But I'll Say Anything To Get Out A Ticket!

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
I'm curious about something... :idea:

A lot of people I know have been getting tickets all of a sudden. Maybe I just know a lot of bad drivers. :burnout: But I was at the library yesterday and came across a newspaper from a few weeks back that stated property tax revenue is down, thus there is a town budget deficit of $1.2 million.

I don't blame any LEO for writing a ticket. No way. (1) The violator is usually guilty as charged. (2) They're doing their job and I'll never fault an honest officer for that. My curiosity - not anger - is directed towards the local government.

Is it remotely possible that a town will request officers to increase the strictness of enforcement that leads to a finable citation, with the upside being increased revenue for that town?

I try to keep up with local government as much as federal and state b/c I'm convinced local gov't is as corrupt as it gets...lol :-D Seriously, I'm just curious if this theory has any validity. I value everyone's opinion (LEO and non-LEO) so thanks in advance.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by zzzzzer
I'm curious about something... :idea:

Is it remotely possible that a town will request officers to increase the strictness of enforcement that leads to a finable citation, with the upside being increased revenue for that town?

The simple answer is yes. It is that the town manager directs the police chief to enforce the laws as they are written and to use less discretion. Also they may direct officers running radar to lower the leeway on the radar setting. So instead of triggering the radar at 11 mph over, it may now be set for 6 over. Things like that.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Revenue generation is a statistical fact in regards to vehicle operation in today's world. In almost every state in the union, the federal government's cuts in funding is made up for (and augmented with new schemes) by state's raiding local cities for funds.

The state legislature's then increase fees for all forms of vehicle operation offenses to assist the state in regaining said revenue. The carrot is the fact that each city gets to keep a portion of the fees they generate through traffic law enforcement.

Is there money in traffic fines? Consider this..........In many cities here in California we have automated "red light runner" cameras. They photograph folks as they run red lights and cite them via mail.

The ENTIRE cost of installing and operating the cameras is funded by the company who manufactures the cameras. They receive a designated portion of the funds. Believe me when I say if it was not lucrative, private industry would not be involved.........

And that only covers the citations issued through automation, consider the amount of money generated each year by your local state police agency (here the CHP - auto club with a gun.....) who enforce the majority of the commercial laws governing the truckers. They generate millions of dollars annually, all of which goes to state coffers.

Fact is, obey the laws the best you can and you will most likely get to keep your hard-earned dollars. Whatever you do though, keep in mind the officer on patrol is only doing his job, and generally speaking he is not mandated to write more tickets. However he may be working what his superiors call a "targeted enforcement detail" around a school zone, high traffic area or an area where accidents are up and they are trying to impact that issue.

zzzzzer

Established Member
Once again you guys have enlightened me. :thumbsup: THANKS!! I learn something new everyday. :beer:

SVT Cobra

Established Member
Theres many ways the government can make money. I know here in N.Y., awhile ago the fines for tickets were DOUBLED! Thats right, doubled!(from $55+ to $110+) That goes for parking and traffic tickets. But I think the raise in gas prices has to do with our deficit also :shrug:. Then you have tax that can be raised as well. All in all, I wish there was another way...

RRTX

Established Member
And that only covers the citations issued through automation, consider the amount of money generated each year by your local state police agency (here the CHP - auto club with a gun.....) who enforce the majority of the commercial laws governing the truckers. They generate millions of dollars annually, all of which goes to state coffers.
I think Cali makes most of it's money from truckers at the $%@#*^! scales at Banning. I don't think there is an over the road driver out there that hasn't heard horror stories about that weigh station lol

zzzzzer

Established Member
If money from tickets goes towards programs and work that benefit the community, I don't mind. Its another story altogether if higher taxes and fines are the result of people who can't balance a budget...lol :)

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
A truck drivers worst nightmare...............a CHP pickup driven by a CHP commercial enforcement officer in his coveralls with a creeper in hand............Those guys will crawl under, over and through a big rig from front to back. I've seen them write citations with amendment pages to hold all the violations.

rmvurhdfmurass

Established Member
A few years ago there was a nasty rumor going around that a local municipality had run WAY over budget fixing a road, and attempted to make up for this by HEAVILY watching the construction zone. Now I don't know if there was any truth in this. But I do know that the ran way past their budget. I do know that fines suck twice as hard in a work zone. And I do know that there was ALWAYS a cop somewhere in that work zone. You do the math....

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Humm, a rumor! And you dont know if there is any truth to it, so what math is there to do? Cops have nothing to do with balancing budgets.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Why blames the cops? For the most part, they go where they're told to go, usually by bosses who are politically appointed. So if there's revenue-driven enforcement, it's probably not based on the preferences of individual LEOs.

On the other hand, the claims by some that a lot of traffic enforcement is revenue-driven may be true. The cause may lie at levels higher than the cop on patrol.

Is this a fair assessment, guys?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Here in California all CalTrans work crews are assigned a full-time CHP officer to assist in traffic control. They rarely issue citations since their purpose is to provide a marked presence at the leading edge of the construction zone to warn drivers.

My personal feelings about construction zones is simple, if you are speeding through an area where highway workers are in close proximity to the roadway, you deserve the citation and its accompanying "double fine" penalty.

As far as citations being revenue driven, there may be many individuals making this claim, however none of them are LEO's.......

I worked in the profession for many years, both in small agencies and large and can honestly say I was never directed to write citations for the purpose of revenue generation. As I promoted through the ranks, I never ordered any of my officers to write citations for the purpose of generating revenue.

I once used up an entire citation book (25 tickets) in one school zone that had been targeted for a saturation enforcement detail due to numerous complaints of vehicle's speeding during hours of operation. None of the citations were written for anything less than 10 miles over the posted 25 MPH limit.

Some of the citations were for speeds of 45 MPH in the same posted 25MPH zone. All of the speeds were radar certified, and the unit was working in conjunction with one of our large, well-lit "radar" trailers that displays your speed in 2 foot tall numbers................I'm sure you've seen them, the "your speed is...." machines.

Bottom line, every one of those drivers deserved the citations they got..............however revenue was not the motivating factor, the action was motivated by safety concerns.

People love to rationalize issues such as this since it makes it easier to swallow. It's not that complicated - you violate traffic statutes and your eventually going to be observed, stopped and cited..............pretty simple stuff.....................................

Last edited:

rmvurhdfmurass

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Humm, a rumor! And you dont know if there is any truth to it, so what math is there to do? Cops have nothing to do with balancing budgets.

I agree that cops have nothign to do with balancing budgets, but as stated early, city managers and mayors do. And if they tighten up and remove discression from the LEO's...

rmvurhdfmurass

Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
Here in California all CalTrans work crews are assigned a full-time CHP officer to assist in traffic control. They rarely issue citations since their purpose is to provide a marked presence at the leading edge of the construction zone to warn drivers.

My personal feelings about construction zones is simple, if you are speeding through an area where highway workers are in close proximity to the roadway, you deserve the citation and its accompanying "double fine" penalty.

As far as citations being revenue driven, there may be many individuals making this claim, however none of them are LEO's.......

I worked in the profession for many years, both in small agencies and large and can honestly say I was never directed to write citations for the purpose of revenue generation. As I promoted through the ranks, I never ordered any of my officers to write citations for the purpose of generating revenue.

I once used up an entire citation book (25 tickets) in one school zone that had been targeted for a saturation enforcement detail due to numerous complaints of vehicle's speeding during hours of operation. None of the citations were written for anything less than 10 miles over the posted 25 MPH limit.

Some of the citations were for speeds of 45 MPH in the same posted 25MPH zone. All of the speeds were radar certified, and the unit was working in conjunction with one of our large, well-lit "radar" trailers that displays your speed in 2 foot tall numbers................I'm sure you've seen them, the "your speed is...." machines.

Bottom line, every one of those drivers deserved the citations they got..............however revenue was not the motivating factor, the action was motivated by safety concerns.

People love to rationalize issues such as this since it makes it easier to swallow. It's not that complicated - you violate traffic statutes and your eventually going to be observed, stopped and cited..............pretty simple stuff.....................................

I get the feeling that everyone in this room now thinks I'm an anti cop pot smoking (etc etc etc) bastard. I didn't mean to sound disrespectful, or ignorant, I was just stating what happened, and what my personal opinion is. I agree that if you get caught, then you should pay. I just don't want to sound like some of the other people that enjoy saying cops are idiots.

NukeX

My Shit Got Keyed, Yo
Established Member
During certain periods, there is EVERYTHING but an actual "quota" citation amount. If you are running motor detail........you will know when you need to come in with an "increased" number. No hiding it, there is pressure put on LEO's to simply write more tickets, where the word comes from....talkto your local/state government

rmvurhdfmurass

Established Member
Originally posted by NukeX
During certain periods, there is EVERYTHING but an actual "quota" citation amount. If you are running motor detail........you will know when you need to come in with an "increased" number. No hiding it, there is pressure put on LEO's to simply write more tickets, where the word comes from....talkto your local/state government

:beer:

Thank you

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by NukeX

In the 22 years I worked as an LEO, I was never asked or pressured or even privy to a discussion where revenue and quotas were the topic of conversation. The only time you will see an increase in enforcement is when it relates to public safety. If speeders in a certain area are targeted, there iwll be a sharp increase in ticket count and an associated increase in revenue. However, you are only talking about short periods of time, not permanent speed traps placed for the purpose of generating revenue.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by rmvurhdfmurass
I get the feeling that everyone in this room now thinks I'm an anti cop pot smoking (etc etc etc) bastard. I didn't mean to sound disrespectful, or ignorant, I was just stating what happened, and what my personal opinion is. I agree that if you get caught, then you should pay. I just don't want to sound like some of the other people that enjoy saying cops are idiots.

Sorry you feel that way, it was not my intention to make you feel uncomfortable, I was just trying to make a point.:beer:

rmvurhdfmurass

Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
Sorry you feel that way, it was not my intention to make you feel uncomfortable, I was just trying to make a point.:beer:

Not a problem :rolling:

I think with NukeX's comment though, you can see that while in your career it didn't happen, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen somewhere else. Remember there are some awfully backward towns out in the boonies where three month old "Police Ball" tickets get sold for tickets... I'm not saying it's right, but right or not it still happens:shrug:

Thanks for the non-:burn: reply, though :)

Users who are viewing this thread