Pondering E85

SWFLGT

Established Member
I am thinking of making the switch to E85 but I don't know that I should. I have a return style system, -10 feed and -8 return, twin 340's and 60# injectors. I should see somewhere close to 10 psi of boost from a D-1SC. Now here's the kicker, this is an 01 Cobra with stock bottom end.

I was estimating ~400 rwhp on 93, should I go ahead and make the switch or wait until I have a built short block? What would you expect the car to make with this setup and will these 60's flow enough?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Making much more HP is putting the engine on borrowed time. I would save for a shortblock.

SWFLGT

Established Member
60's are fine, switch is up to you, will be safer than 93 and make 30-40rwhp more at 10psi.

That extra 30-40 is what I am most concerned with.

Making much more HP is putting the engine on borrowed time. I would save for a shortblock.

I know you're right, borrowed time is no good, it's probably best I just wait until I have a built short block.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Just pull some timing out and enjoy the thought of knowing your running much safer, cleaner and cooler!

JeremyH

Established Member
Yeah your looking at it wrong, power from effciencey is never a bad thing, You can lower boost and rpm and make more power at the same timing level.

sleepermobile2

Established Member
Ive exploded a few 01 motors and it wasn't to tough to do. When you get up over 400 hp it's going to happen if you drive like a mad man. So your going to need a motor soon if your supercharged, it's a fact. I'd do the e85 NOW and keep it safe around 400hp and start saving..... I'd say the Pistons will last a LOT longer in that stock motor with the corn. I would also say save that money for a rebuild and do not wait for it to explode before you build it. You'll be able to build it for a lot less money and be way ahead when your done ......plus it smells good!!!

SWFLGT

Established Member
Just pull some timing out and enjoy the thought of knowing your running much safer, cleaner and cooler!

Yeah your looking at it wrong, power from effciencey is never a bad thing, You can lower boost and rpm and make more power at the same timing level.

^^Thanks, I was more concerned that the extra power would be putting me closer to the breaking point, I was not thinking about the benefits of the corn.

Ive exploded a few 01 motors and it wasn't to tough to do. When you get up over 400 hp it's going to happen if you drive like a mad man. So your going to need a motor soon if your supercharged, it's a fact. I'd do the e85 NOW and keep it safe around 400hp and start saving..... I'd say the Pistons will last a LOT longer in that stock motor with the corn. I would also say save that money for a rebuild and do not wait for it to explode before you build it. You'll be able to build it for a lot less money and be way ahead when your done ......plus it smells good!!!

I can't wait to see what the smell is all about. I have a Teksid block in the works, just working on getting all the parts and pieces together which hopefully will be some time this summer. I'd like to have the current motor hold up until then so I can sell it off once my built motor is complete to recoup a few bucks.

How about the Siemens Deka 60# injectors I have, my tuner said he thought that they were not compatible with E85, does anyone have any input on that?

SWFLGT

Established Member
I'm getting closer and expect to get my car on the rollers Tuesday. What would be a recommended plug to run? I am currently running NGK TR6's gapped at .032

SWFLGT

Established Member
I still haven't made it to the e85, but last night while tuning she put down 464 on 9psi and 16* timing and now I'm really hesitant to go eat since it's going to add power. Should I push my luck or back off and let it be is the dilemma.

Edit: Finished up the 93 tune and i'm going to hold off on the e85 for the moment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread