Poor track showing

04nccobra

Established Member
Took the 5.0 to the strip for the 1st time on Friday at Virginia Motorsports Park. I must say I came away pretty dissappointed in the car and my driving ability. My car has the Ford Pro-Cal tune, is lowered and runs on street Nitto 555s.

First pass launched at 2000 rpms slipping the clutch a bit, shift at 6800 rpms, 1.99 60', hit 2nd and nothing but spin, missed 3rd gear. 13:36, next pass spun on launch and 2nd, 13:07 @ 109, next pass shifted from 3rd to 6th, next pass couldn't get the car to shift into 3rd. What a mess of a evening and probably the worst showing I have ever had at the track. Really makes me wish I still had the 392 Challenger.

Now my question is how to fix this. Thinking about a set of 18" x 9" SVE drifts with a pair of Nitto NT05R 285/40-18" DRs, I know this isn't the best option but I really want to keep the match with my present 19" SVEs. For the shifting/shifter problems I have no idea, could use a little advice. Power I know a better tune would help but I really want to keep the warranty in place, so the PRO-Cal is it for now.

There were a few impressive cars there that night. 12-Roush running 11:10s, Pulley/Tune/DR ZL1 automatic car running 11:00s.

Last edited:

ccd_1606

Established Member
Have you added lower control arms or relocation brackets?? Those helped mine a lot with traction on the street, I still haven't made a trip to the track yet so I can't confirm they help there.

Alien STI

Established Member
im confused. you wished you still had the 392 because you couldnt drive the car on every pass you had? or because the 392 was much easier to get down the track? You didn't get not one clean pass, You shouldnt be upset with anything other than the fact that you need more seat time. Im also a little confused about the really bad tire spin in 2nd. Did you burn out before the run? advice follows your reply to these questions.

04nccobra

Established Member
Have you added lower control arms or relocation brackets?? Those helped mine a lot with traction on the street, I still haven't made a trip to the track yet so I can't confirm they help there.

I have LCRs no relocations brackets which did fix my hop issues.

ccd_1606

Established Member
Add the brackets, I purchased the BMR's and you can feel the difference. Instead of the car squatting it feels like the body lifts to plant the rear end harder.

04nccobra

Established Member
im confused. you wished you still had the 392 because you couldnt drive the car on every pass you had? or because the 392 was much easier to get down the track? You didn't get not one clean pass, You shouldnt be upset with anything other than the fact that you need more seat time. Im also a little confused about the really bad tire spin in 2nd. Did you burn out before the run? advice follows your reply to these questions.

I guess my frustration comes in the fact that the Challenger was just super easy to get down the track and run impressive numbers in.

Did a quick burn to the line, tires at 25-psi, as I said I slipped the clutch a bit in 1st then tried to nail 2nd which would result in tire spin. Temps were in the high 40s so maybe that played into the poor traction as well

clinton2003

Established Member
Have you done a barton shifter bracket or the poly bushing upgrade for the shifter? It makes a crazy difference in how the shifter feels.

MoonRider

Established Member
Looks like you had good 60fts for street tires but sounds really like you need tires and the shifter gos away really quick when your racing I would upgrade to a better unit. don't down the car just yet more seat time and little adjustments here and there will help you out

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
First pass launched at 2000 rpms slipping the clutch a bit, shift at 6800 rpms, 1.99 60', hit 2nd and nothing but spin, missed 3rd gear. 13:36, next pass spun on launch and 2nd, 13:07 @ 109, next pass shifted from 3rd to 6th, next pass couldn't get the car to shift into 3rd. What a mess of a evening and probably the worst showing I have ever had at the track. Really makes me wish I still had the 392 Challenger.

Now my question is how to fix this. Thinking about a set of 18" x 9" SVE drifts with a pair of Nitto NT05R 285/40-18" DRs, I know this isn't the best option but I really want to keep the match with my present 19" SVEs. For the shifting/shifter problems I have no idea, could use a little advice. Power I know a better tune would help but I really want to keep the warranty in place, so the PRO-Cal is it for now.

There were a few impressive cars there that night. 12-Roush running 11:10s, Pulley/Tune/DR ZL1 automatic car running 11:00s.

I bolded your issues.. It's not the car, it's the driver bro.. You can't expect results, when you're missing gears and spinning.. You need seat time and tires :beer:

AnthonyNoz

Established Member
Have you done a barton shifter bracket or the poly bushing upgrade for the shifter? It makes a crazy difference in how the shifter feels.

+1 this should have been your first mod o.p.....
I've had my fair share of torment at the strip and always wish i had a gtr because im such a bad racer rofl

Not to get off topic but does the pro cal void ur warranty anyway?

04nccobra

Established Member
Your right it could and probably is me, but I never had an issue finding gears with my 04 Cobra or 10SS. I will try the Barton bracket mentioned above. Thank you for the advice folks.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Your right it could and probably is me, but I never had an issue finding gears with my 04 Cobra or 10SS. I will try the Barton bracket mentioned above. Thank you for the advice folks.

From what I've gathered the remote shifters suck.. I know my Dad's 07 was a POS, and it was a Saleen shifter. They aren't the same thing at all sadly. It's just seat time buddy..

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Of course your 392 was easier to drive it was an auto. Not bad for your first time at the track, youll get there just keep practicing. Good 60'! Ditch that pro-cal. Bone stock i had a higher mph than 109:/. A proper tune will really wake your car up

04nccobra

Established Member
Of course your 392 was easier to drive it was an auto. Not bad for your first time at the track, youll get there just keep practicing. Good 60'! Ditch that pro-cal. Bone stock i had a higher mph than 109:/. A proper tune will really wake your car up

I'd love to tune the car with another tune, but I can't get past that warranty thing. Not sure how long I will keep this car and I'd hate to hurt the resale value to improve my 1/4 mile times for a few trips to the track. I'd rather concentrate on launch and shifts at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread