Pop goes the track cherry...

nduction03

Established Member
:bash: :bash: :bash:

Popped the track cherry tonight. From the results you would think I was driving my 84 Chevy pickup...geesh.

1st time, light turns green, car in neutral.................no place to hide from the shame. Go ahead and put it in gear and go. The shame is severe......

2nd time, launch at ~2500, bad wheel hop, 2.5 60', 9.2 1/8th. yikes.... need to lower the launch and use more clutch.

3rd time, launch at ~2200, car bogs so bad I thought it was going to die, 2.3 60', 8.9 1/8th. Getting better, plus this was against ss camaro and spanked him. heh heh.

4th time, sweating so bad (this is redline in texas...in july at that), cant hardly see the tree for the sweat in my eyes. 2.3 60', 9.0 1/8th and missed 3rd gear, just coasted through lights. :gt: :gt: :gt:

Reaction times did get to .70. Kinda sad in its on way.

Anyway, consider the cherry popped..... I need practice!!

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Practice - practice - practice

My first time at the track I pulled WAYYY past the staging lights and waited. The track guy had to walk up to my window - knock on it - and tell me to pull back. Yes, it sure is embarassing. The next run I figure I would rev it up in the burn out pit and clean off the old tires while applying the brakes - reved it up and couldn't understand why I wasn't going anywhere or spinning the tires - oh, the clutch is still in and I am just redlining the car... :bored:

nduction03

Established Member
I did take a picture of the crowd as I staged and raced

:xpl: :cuss: :kaboom: :bash: :??: :nonono: :eek: :dw: :uh oh: :sleeping: :nono:

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Well, I had a similar track experience in my 'Vert. On my first pass I missed third and went into 1st at 70+. I posted an 8.7 at 70 mph. To add insult to injury, traction control was on.

The 2nd and 3rd passes were rotten...something in the computer put the EEC into safe mode as a result of over-revving. Best was a 9.0???!!!!

The very next day I disconnected the battery, which helped clear the code. I also ordered a Blu-Thunder shifter to help with the 2-3 upshift.

Before I owned the '03, I had a few hundred passes under my belt with different vehicles some of which were a lot faster. My first track day with the '03 I looked like friggin' rookie.:xpl:

Last edited:

KDog

Established Member
Don't worry nduction03, I fully expect the same to happen to me my first time out. Even if I think I know what I'm doing, just the excitement will make me screw up probably.

Users who are viewing this thread