Pop/tink update... Fix underway

Surfnerv89

Fast?... Kinda
Established Member
Well after going to the dealer, and them not being able to verify the noise. I went to a different dealer who also couldn't hear it. So, I took their road manager for a ride, and got it to tink/pop right away over and over again. He finally heard it. I asked what he thinks it could be and he had no clue. I told him about everyone else with the problem, and gave a printout of all the posts. He said there was no way it could be the axles slipping in the hubs. I told him to take the hubs off and check anyway. He said ok. Today I got the call, and they said they just ordered new rear axles and hubs.:rockon: Finally I am going to get it fixed. They also told me that my right rear tie rod end was completely shot, but they woulnd't fix it under warranty because it's due to abuse, and launching hard:cuss: That pissed me off, but I'm gonna have them fix it anyway. So looks again like the problem of the tink/pop is the bad axles/hub connection.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Dude thats awesome! I have been fighting Ford about this for months now. Im glad to see that your dealership got it done. Hopefully Ford will soon issue something dealership wide that states the problem, and how to fix it.

cbrtrx

Established Member
when are these dealers going to realize this tink pop is a problem with these cars, my tierod was shot too, they replaced it under warrenty, make sure they give you a good alignment, they said they gave me an alignment but they didnt and my tires were ruined in the back in only 1000 miles, they said it was my fault, tires down to the threads only on the inside i found out later the rear was off more then 4 degrees

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
I just called SVT and asked for what the latest official information is on this issue. I was told that greasing the back of the wheel-hub nut (which has the pressed-on integral washer) will get the noise to go away for a couple of months by preventing the metal-to-metal contact between the back side of the washer and the wheel hub.

I asked if there's anything we can do to get SVT going on coming up with a permanent fix and was told that everyone with the problem should call SVT (800-367-3788) and formally register their concerns about this issue (including providing the last 6 digits of their VIN number). He said the more people who do this, the more likely it is that SVT will come up with a permanent fix. So, anyone who's got this problem, please call and tell them and give them the last 6 digits of your VIN number. Thanks.

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
When starting to move from a stop in first gear and reverse, once the suspension loads up, there's a tink (or a tinka-tink or tinka-tinka-tink) coming from the rear wheels. It usually shows up on the passenger side first and is easier to hear with the windows down.

Surfnerv89

Fast?... Kinda
Established Member
keep going from 1st to reverse and move about 10 feet each way. Stop completely each time. If you have it you can get it to tink everytime. It's easiest with some resistance, like being in the grass and moving back and forth, or using the e-brake.

Oxford Snake

Established Member
Surfnerv89 - I had to replace a tie rod end that I messed up tearing apart the IRS. Ford wanted $114 for the entire part but I found that Ford Racing sells the 2000 Cobra R heavy duty tie rod end for $30. Call Summitt Racing.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread