POR-15 in a spray gun?

burnout42

Banned
You have to thin in out before you put it in a gun, but if I was you I would go the home depot and buy the cheapest Wagner Power Painter they have. I think they have one thats like 30 bucks. Chuck it after you're done.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
Yea i got the thinner off the website. Figured i'd get a cheap gun as this stuff will probably ruin it. Have a 80 gallon compressor so i'll grab a cheap air spray gun.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
Buy a cheap spray gun. Dont use Wagner Power Junk because the solvent will melt it and its crap anyway... not meant for paints of Automotive consistency

Remember that POR-15 will discolor if it sees ANY sunlight. It needs to be topcoated if you want to keep the nice color.

straightliner1

Established Member
Which POR-15 are you spraying?

I used a DeVilbiss finish gun, thinned it 3:1 per the instructions and then cleaned the gun. I've used it 2x since. There's no need to throw a good gun away - that's just retarded, it's only paint!

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
I'm using the regular semi gloos black and then the clear over it. The instructions online said no more than 5% thinning agent. It hasnt arrived yet so maybe its says different on the can?

straightliner1

Established Member
You're right about the 5%. I'm not sure where I got the 3:1 from, but it did work for me. 3 parts paint that is!

I do have a question for you though, why the SG black then the clear? Their high gloss black is very glossy, durable and is only a one-part, compared to the 2-part crystal clear paint. I painted a lot of miscellaneous parts on my car with both the SG and full gloss.

Last edited:

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
No need to toss the gun if you clean it VERY good. If you don't clean the gun right away then yes it is garbage. Cover your skin because if you get that stuff on it you will be wearing it for a while!!! :)

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
You're right about the 5%. I'm not sure where I got the 3:1 from, but it did work for me. 3 parts paint that is!

I do have a question for you though, why the SG black then the clear? Their high gloss black is very glossy, durable and is only a one-part, compared to the 2-part crystal clear paint. I painted a lot of miscellaneous parts on my car with both the SG and full gloss.

I got the clear because it says the semi gloss black will not hold up to UV rays unless its topcoated with there clear. Said it will turn odd colors. We'll see. I'm sandblasting the frame wednesday and then starting to paint thursday.

Users who are viewing this thread