Ported blower on stock boost?

MattACK

Established Member
Who would want to port a blower but still rock stock pullies... This guy. Im also installing a bassani catted-x, magnaflow catback, and ported inlet/TB. Doing my own tuning as well. I may pulley up some day but Im happy with my power level. Also want to keep the car stock appearing as much as I can.

I've been searching everywhere for any numbers or results of a stock boost cobra with a ported blower but couldn't find any. That means either I'm that stupid to do it, or no one else has tried and this should be interesting.

Thoughts?

--Matt

cj428mach

Established Member
nxs450 has a very very nice home ported blower, with basically a stock pulley 3.4". It didn't pull anything like my old ported blower with a 2.8" pulley. The extra boost gets you all the torque which is what makes a terminator such a blast to drive. You need the extra boost. Also if you want stock looking just modify your stock pulley guard to cover the snub idler with the smaller pulley.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
Yeah i think you'll pick up some power but not a whole lot without more boost. I cant say I've heard about anyone doing this, so I'm a little curious of what it'll make.

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
I will be doing the same thing but only to keep my stock sorry block Alive

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
Why even waist your money on a ported blower if your not going to up the boost?

BdJames

Established Member
You are happy with your power level, but are porting the blower? Keeping the stock pulley but you want to know how much power you will make? Seems counterproductive. Keep us posted.

Mustangman002

If you want to look mostly stock you could also keep the stock upper and run a metco 8# lower. Someone has to look really closely to see a lower pulley on these cars.

MattACK

Established Member
If you want to look mostly stock you could also keep the stock upper and run a metco 8# lower. Someone has to look really closely to see a lower pulley on these cars.

A buddy of mine was trying to get me to put a 2.8 upper on the car while we had the blower off and I was about to so okay if he had a belt for it. With the shroud on you can barely see the pulley. Ended up keeping the stock wagon wheel on it.

Why even waist your money on a ported blower if your not going to up the boost?

You are happy with your power level, but are porting the blower? Keeping the stock pulley but you want to know how much power you will make? Seems counterproductive. Keep us posted.

Why you ask, well because a good friend of mine started porting and does some pretty decent work. For $250 shipped both ways he ported the blower, throttle body, and inlet. After having a Lightning that runs 10s in street trim, I don't really need a full bolt-on cobra to go fast. Now that being said... maximizing the potential of a basically stock cobra will be fun and it is much less likely to have any problems in the course of doing so.

I got the car put back together this morning and drove the car home this afternoon on a rough tune that I put in the car about 6 months ago without a wideband. The car felt noticeably stronger and once I checked the wideband I just installed, I was hitting between 10.0 and 10.3 A/F at WOT :uh oh: and my I/C pump died. Charge temps were staying below 100* since ambient was around 40 so I kept playing with it. Took it back out tonight after work and worked the tune a little to put it back to a 12.0 at WOT tune and holy shit does it pull hard for a stock boost car! :eek: I'm hitting about 10psi and am pegging out the MAF at 6700rpms.

I found nxs450's thread where he dyno'd his car with almost the exact same mods I have except that I have a catted x-pipe and his car made 401/371 on a Dyno Dynamics dyno, so it is more like 430ish on a dynojet. My last cobra was pullied to 15psi, intake/exhaust, and it made 460/450 to the wheels.... to be honest this stock boost car doesn't feel like it is much less than a 430-440 rwhp car in this cool weather. For only having a K&N filter in the stock airbox, ported TB/Inlet/Blower, catted bassani x-pipe, and magnaflow catback... I'm very impressed how it has responded.

I hope to have it on a dynojet in a month or two to verify power output and will post up my results.

Last edited:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Most boosted cars feel good in cold weather. I'd be curious to see the difference in rwhp with a stock pulley, but just out of curiousity. I'd have a pulley on it right away to go with the port. Keep us updated with your results :beer:

RushSVT

Established Member
I'm curious on this too. Just to port the blower and leave the stock pully on until I can get it put on a dyno. Then when I get there swap to the smaller pully. Would it be ok to drive In the mean with the stock pully?

Users who are viewing this thread