ported heads or Mach 1 heads?

Dino S.

Established Member
What would be better, porting my stock heads or switching to Mach 1 heads and cams, and using 99/01 cobra intake?

Prices on each? Any and all info greatly appreciated.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i say switch to mach 1 heads and 99/01 intake and then have them ported. talk about a hp boost. i thought about calling local junkyards and seein about getting 99/01 or mach 1 heads and intake but i don't know how easy it is to convert.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
I've been looking into an '03 headswap (Mach 1 and 03/04 Cobra use the same heads). It looks like all that is needed are the heads, 99+ intake, fuel rails, and a maf to TB pipe for a 99+ (slightly different shape). That and of course you will need a new tune, but other then that, you are good to go. And hey, I figure while you're in there, you might as well install the FR500 valvetrain.

350-ish to the wheels? I'll take two.

SVTWARR3N

Established Member
I dont understand why you would switch heads?The 96-98 cobra heads HELLO!TESKID HEADS AND BLOCK cast in Carmagnola Italy.WERE TALKIN HANDMADE HIGH QUALITY SHIT HERE!!OHH WHAT'S THAT YOUR FINGERs HURT???WELL YOU JUST PULLED LANDSCAPING DUTY. :whine:

Last edited:

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTWARR3N
I dont understand why you would switch heads?The 96-98 cobra heads HELLO!TESKID HEADS AND BLOCK cast in Carmagnola Italy.WERE TALKIN HANDMADE HIGH QUALITY SHIT HERE!!OHH WHAT'S THAT YOUR FINGERs HURT???WELL YOU JUST PULLED LANDSCAPING DUTY. :whine:

I don't know about my fingers, but my eyes and head sure hurt after trying to read all that...

orange2004cobra

Established Member
I would go with the mach head.
The tumble port heads are far superior, and have no imrc issues , or fuel puddle to contend with..
Just my opinion.
L.

Cobra Tim

Established Member
Stock for stock the Mach heads do flow better than the B series (93-98) BUT I have seen better numbers come from ported B series.

I would have a good shop work the head you have. Youll see more power for the same price.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra Tim
Stock for stock the Mach heads do flow better than the B series (93-98) BUT I have seen better numbers come from ported B series.

I would have a good shop work the head you have. Youll see more power for the same price.

you mean 96-98...Oh,and they have flow numbers comparing the 96-98 heads to the 99/01 heads up on a 5.0 rag somewhere...guess what...The 96-98 heads were better(like Tim says)....And from past threads and research done on comparisons,their advantage gets bigger after they've been ported...Like I said, I'm not to sure on the Mach heads,but I'd rather get the stocker 96-98 heads ported since they are tried and true...And probly a whole lot cheaper...

Oh,and quality does matter when the numbers start to climb...:read:

tv's 03

Established Member
The cheaper more cost effective way will be porting your current heads.

To make more power than porting yours, you would have to buy 03 heads and a 01 intake with intake plumbing and then get those ported.

Stay with what you have, unless you have the extra $$. If you do, you should be looking at getting the fr500 heads cams and intake.

PGreenSVT

Established Member
Let me throw my $.02 in here as well. Yes the 03/04 heads flow better out of the box. As stated above the B heads flow better than the 99-01 heads but they are really close. When it comes to porting you can make any of the heads flow decent numbers. For the cost of going to newer heads 99-01 or 03/04 say $650 for decent low milage heads, $375 for the 99-01 intake and you're still making stock type power with $1000 in parts plus labor. For the same money you van get a quality P&P on your heads and be well ahead of the game. The only reason I see to get the late model heads is if you want a KB blower. With the new style heads you can drop the soon to be released KB for the 99-01 on to your 96 and play all the games that the 03/04 boys are playing. 18+ lbs of boost 700+ hp and all the broken parts you can handle. Personnaly I say keep your heads and go turbo.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Originally posted by tv's 03
I believe that kenne bell makes one for your motor and heads anyway.

Yeah, but the problem with it is there is no intercooler with it. It's an easy way to bolt on 80 - 90 RWHP, but you can't take it much higher then that.

Users who are viewing this thread