ported heads

charged351

Established Member
Has anyone ported the stock gt40 heads? And if so, what kind of cfm do they flow? Also does anyone know the stock cfm ratings of the gt40 heads. I am debating on porting the stock heads, or going with afr 185. This is for my blown lightning, which will be matched with a cammotion cam, and ported lower intake, seeing around 10-12 psi.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
i am no expert on this, but i think for the $$$ involved with porting everyone just goes with the afr's. i could be wrong. maybe someone else will chime in here...

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
I guess it depends on how much the porting will cost you, as opposed to the cost of the afr's. They will net about 50 rwhp, and lighten up the front end about 50 pounds as well.

turbosvt93

Established Member
To get the heads ported from a local place here called Champion Cylinder head. It was going to cost $600, plus new springs and seals. It was going to cost around $800, might as well save up and get AFRs.

Matt95L

Established Member
Get the AFRs and sell the GT40s to offset some of the cost.I'd stay away from cammotion the numbers people have been getting have not been that impressive there are even a couple of guys who pulled there Cammotion custom grind in favor of the HO cam and gone faster in the 1/4.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
jegs has them for 1329. i'd look around a little and see if you can't find a "new" used pair. like over at the nloc, tccoa or one of the millions of stang sites.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
looks like they have them for about twenty $ cheaper and no freight $. plus it's probably better to talk to someone that actually knows what they're selling.

Evil84Stang

Established Member
Wow, just wow. I'll be able to answer your question about the ported heads in the next month or so. I have to get them back from a friend who's porting them to a 1262 intake and a 1487 exhaust, valve job, and a little un-shrouding. It'll have a Cartech upper, ported lower, ported GT-40's, decent cam (.577 lift .232 dur. @.050) and Megasquirt running the engine managment. Long tubes with a 2 1/2 in. Dr. Gas X pipe and flows exhaling all the intake mods. I hope to see somwhere in the neihborhood of 300rwhp, the torque will be off 'till the blower goes on the truck, with a ported GT-40 upper I would have expected around 400 rwtq.

Users who are viewing this thread