ported lid information

scarlett98

Established Member
So my friend and I ported his upper intake plenum turned out bitchin.

http://s983.photobucket.com/user/sc...G0134_zps471b484a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&src=wap

That's not the finishing picture I will get some tomorrow.

Were going to conduct an experiment to see if there are any gains. Same day dyno and weather conditions, my question is... If I get a 5-10hp increase would anyone want this done? We have two extras right now and I would gladly take core. The third I'm going to take out the center section and run a sbtb.

And do another test.

Also I think I'm going to open up a lower Intake and do the same.

The test will be on a cammed mach 1 with longtubes and full bolt ons. If we get a increase in power were gonna do a exhaust only 99 cobra after.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
You've done testing? Can you post the results?

I haven't done any personally, many others have. One you probably don't know of, or you wouldn't have started this thread, is NA SVT. AKA probably the most knowledgeable man on this site for all things NA. Even without knowing of NA SVT, seeing any results, dynos, whatever, just ask yourself, in what way would this mod increase power? Are you increasing the amount of air into the engine? No. Are you increasing the duration the air flows into the cylinder? No. Are you increasing V/E? No. Are you increasing plenum volume, well, yes, but, a 1/2" spacer will net about 3-5hp, sometimes. Do you honestly think polishing off a mm or two is going to increase air volume, velocity, or plenum volume? It's common sense. The restriction is in the runners. The lid does absolutely nothing but make the intake into a closed container and house a few vacuum ports and EGR provisions.

As for what power do we make? Off of Darkcobra's mods list, I'd say about 365rwhp, maybe a little more or less. I'm hovering the 300-310rwhp area.

scarlett98

Established Member
I'm still gonna do the test. We opened up the front t/b holes to a 62mm to match the t/b so hopefully it will yield some power over the stock t/b and inlet. As far as the lower I will be cutting one apart and polishing those to. I just need to pick up a spare to do so.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Polishing only makes it look pretty, you're going to need to remove some material and gasket match the intake to the heads to see any appreciable gains.

I am just finishing up the intake for my AI race car and the amount of material I removed from the intake is impressive, you're not going to accomplish 1/10th of that with flap disc wheels alone. Get a couple long carbide rasp bits and get to work!

As for polishing??? Yeah it looks neat and in your mind you think you're doing everything right to make an increase in hp but it won't work.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
There is nothing you can do tot he lid to increase power. I've tested them, it's a waste of time. The only time "porting" helps is when the affected area see's high velocity airflow and the plenum doesn't.

I've also enlarged the holes to 65mm for bigger TBS (which don't add power) and the power gain was a big "0."

The lower can be ported (I've done more than most, if not all) and the gains are minimal unless you shorten the runners.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
There is nothing you can do tot he lid to increase power. I've tested them, it's a waste of time. The only time "porting" helps is when the affected area see's high velocity airflow and the plenum doesn't.

I've also enlarged the holes to 65mm for bigger TBS (which don't add power) and the power gain was a big "0."

The lower can be ported (I've done more than most, if not all) and the gains are minimal unless you shorten the runners.

^^This.

Users who are viewing this thread