Porting an M122... worth it and by who?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I did the Stiegemeier Snake Bite when it first came out ,
Which upped the Boost on the stock S/C to 15 16 lbs , C&L cai, stock tb off road xpipe cat Delete and made 600/600 on 91 ..so yes there is power to be had ..
About the same boost As a 2.6 & 10% lower while looking stock...
. Made a few bucks on the side...

What came with the snake bite package? Was it a port and smaller pulley or was there more to the kit?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Iron Terp, once again you have bestowed upon me excellent knowledge! Ive got an offroad H pipe, 2.5" pulley and and a 123mm JLT.

Im going to contact Posi about porting my case, and looking into getting another VMP M122 elbow and a Ford CJ monoblade. 700 crank 600+ wheel HP is quite amazing for the stock unit with stock fuel system to boot!

While a TVS is a great upgrade, hearing about your 07 making that kind of power is a big confidence boost to go with a ported case. I might send you a PM when the time comes. Sides, if Im going to save for a TVS, im going to save for the TVS 2650 and all the needed extras but thats a ways off.

Who did you use for tuning?

Pretty sure POSI doesn't port anymore.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely worth it to go the ported Eaton route.

- With a Posi port, ported stock TB, JLT 110, 2.40" upper, and 20 degrees of advance, my 07' hit 577/552 on Lee Blankenship's Dyno

- Upgraded the TB to a Ford Racing 65mm and hit 586/574. Same Dyno.

- Upgraded the JLT 110 to a JLT 123 and hit 595/582. Same Dyno.

- Re-tune with the same setup netted 591/579 on Johnny Lightning's Dyno. Upped the timing to 21 degrees for this session

- Added a VMP 67mm throttle body with no tuning adjustments and hit 608/581 on Keith's Pit Stop's dyno.

Conclusion being, that on three different dynos on five different occasions with various minor adjustments, the ported Eaton setup hit between 577 and 608 RWHP. Stock fuel injectors, Catted X pipe, factory exhaust manifolds, no BAP, modest 20-21 degree race tune with Torco. Respectable, safe power with very modest money spent.

Recently added a catless H pipe and VMP triple pass HE. And have a 10% lower pulley and long tube headers ready to install if I decide to go that route, (with fuel injectors and BAP sitting right next to them!). Don't get involved with horsepower guesses, but would be interesting what these additions would yield.

And the real kicker is, I have a Trinity TVS sitting on my desk if/when the mood strikes me. But for now, like my modestly set up 600 horsepower Eaton!!

Do you think you'd pick up a few more HP with an FRPP mono? Seems like the throttle body has been a bottleneck the entire time.

Have you tracked the car since it broke 600whp?

Awesome set up, congrats!!!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Do you think you'd pick up a few more HP with an FRPP mono? Seems like the throttle body has been a bottleneck the entire time.

Have you tracked the car since it broke 600whp?

Awesome set up, congrats!!!
Thanks! Maybe a couple RWHP with the monoblade. I gained a small bit from going from a Fomoco 65 to a 67 VMP. But I think we get to the point with the M122 that the blower actually becomes the restriction and a 123mm CAI with a 67mm TB is going to get plenty of air to the supercharger.

Have had 8 clean runs in since hitting 580+ horsepower. Second gear lockout has been brutal as well as non fanned HE and have only been hitting 11.30's with very average DA. Upgraded to MGW2 and VMP triple pass and waiting for some good air!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ive got the MGW 2, WOT box and VMP triple pass dual fan HE. Decided to go with a Whipple mono and in a few weeks time add some Dynatech headers to the mix. As much promise as I was going to give an M122 port job, Ive decided that its in my best interest to save for a TVS.

While that will mean injectors and a BAP, ultimately it will be a better path money wise. I eventually want to go return style for e85 and the injectors and BAP will be necessary as it is.

Terp, you might want to invest in a WOT Box. Even with an MGW2, I still had harder engagement under load, but it was FAARRR better than stock. While ive not been on a track yet, Ive done a few street hits and the WOT box works like a charm.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Terp, you might want to invest in a WOT Box. Even with an MGW2, I still had harder engagement under load, but it was FAARRR better than stock. While ive not been on a track yet, Ive done a few street hits and the WOT box works like a charm.
Lex, I have an 07' and my lockout issues were clutch/flywheel related. Went to an RXT and MGW2 and no more issues. That being said, I have a WOT ready to install if/when the mood strikes.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I had a Steigemeir ported Eaton on my '08 which made 610rw on a Dynojet with headers, 10% lower, elbow ...L&M TB.

Users who are viewing this thread