pos. and negatives about 20s on an L

Floridalawdog

Established Member
I am thinking of buying some Boyd Coddington smoothie II in a 20 this weekend but have been searching and keep seeing stuff about having to change the brakes, rubbing, and other negative things. Obviously, the plus of 20s is the looks, but what really are the negatives.

Also, what is a correct backspacing for 20s? Is 6 inches correct?

Also, any recent pics of these rims would be awesome. Thanks.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Down side...slightly heavier...more rim to clean..can make your brake rotors look small...tires cost more. Upside..they look badass...if Chrome they add extra blingage...they fill the wheel well gaps better..oh and they look badass.

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
I love the way 20's look on our truck.They keep saying they are going to make a drag radial in 20's.When they do I might go back to 20's.

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
If you do the right size tires, and light enough wheels you can actually IMPROVE performance slightly.

99-2000 factory rims 32lbs
2002-2004 rims 34-35 lbs

my Ze forged 20x9.5's 29.5 lbs 20x11's 31 lbs

I had boyd smoothie II's and got rid of them....they were 36 pounds each in 20x10

6" backspace is right.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
LOL

I want BC SMoothie II in 20x10....my Harely stocker rims are 47lb a peice without tire!!!

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
well stew for you theyd be an improvement, just get metal valve stems or you may almost die like I did.

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Wouldnt the handling of the truck impove a slight bit, not having that much sidewall to curl over on?

Grombil.com

Established Member
This is my advice...

I run 23" rims with 305\35\23. The rims are Acuza rims that weigh i ton... For me the downside is performance and the price on new tires. The upside is looks. 20" rims is a bit smaller and probably wount give as mutch loss of power as mine, but some they will take.

Im not shure on the cars track performance... I dont think 20" rims will be better for good times on the trac unless you get everything else up to date. But with the right mods it probably will give you more control.... But iv not tried this out my self...

But when i went from 23" to 18" some weeks ago i realy liked the feel of the truck. Its faster and more fun to play with... And thats not just because of the cost. I`v driven Street Legal with 23" rims and i dont think thats the best way to do it :)

This is my truck and weels :)
Trude-088.jpg

Trude-275.jpg

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
Floridalawdog said:
I am thinking of buying some Boyd Coddington smoothie II in a 20 this weekend but have been searching and keep seeing stuff about having to change the brakes, rubbing, and other negative things. Obviously, the plus of 20s is the looks, but what really are the negatives.

Also, what is a correct backspacing for 20s? Is 6 inches correct?

Also, any recent pics of these rims would be awesome. Thanks.

Well if this helps any,I know Fred and if he said the wheels are mint they are probably better than mint.There are pro's and con's with everything.If you race you will probably use slicks anyway. Good luck with your decision.:thumbsup:

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Nah do not like the 20's.
Gotta go bigger.... 22's

Up side, the ladies love em, they look bad ass, I have had tons of strangers just roll up next to me and tell me how much they love the rims. You can feel the road better, and it does feel a bit more responsive in a slalom than when I had my 18's.

Downside, loss of acceleration, tires cost more to replace, you can not use touchless car washes, you constantly worry about that curb by the drive in bank window, every time your driving fast and you hit a major pothole or bump you wonder if your rim bent, alot more to clean.....

Oh did I mention the ladies love em?

Bootie

Established Member
You'll lose a little traction & accel. switching to the 20's. On the other hand they will look badass (much like the Norwegian girl above :uh oh:).

If you go to the track, just use slicks.

They are also very high maintenance so be prepared, but the looks is well worth it. Get them I say.

02Lightningbolt

It JuSt A tRuCk!!!
Established Member
bgstew6 said:
LOL

I want BC SMoothie II in 20x10....my Harely stocker rims are 47lb a peice without tire!!!

Yeah i know i use to work at a discount tire god i hated when harley's came in those damn wheels feel like there made out of iron! lol

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
I think 20's are a nice aesthetic step up without being too blingy. I haven't got the perfect sized rubber on in this pic (these are 275-45's), but in the spring I'm going to look at what's available in something like a 305-35/20 maybe... worse case I'd go with 295-45's... or maybe something else.

Lightning-Lower-2-3.jpg

2tonOfun

Established Member
pitstain said:
99-2000 factory rims 32lbs
2002-2004 rims 34-35 lbs

my Ze forged 20x9.5's 29.5 lbs 20x11's 31 lbs

Those 20 x 11's are bad ass!

My forged Cragar 18's are very light but I like the look of your (pitstain) wheels very much.

Users who are viewing this thread