Possible bad 3rd gear synchro?

Volatile

Destroyer of Alternators
Established Member
So today my car decided it didn't want to go into third gear anymore. I pulled out onto the highway like normal, and when going to shift up into third gear, my shifter feels like it's stuck in neutral. It will not wiggle back and forth, vibrates, and will absolutely not go into 3rd gear. If I go straight from 2nd to 4th, there's no issues getting into gear, but as I make the shift from 4th to 5th or 6th, that rigidity in neutral is still there, though not as prominent. I had a friend of mine drive the car, who swears that it's not a bent fork, which I originally thought it could be. He's going with a bad synchro as his assumption. I barely ever beat on the car though let alone miss a shift, so I'm confused as to how this happened.

My relevant driveline setup is a 26 spline Mcleod RST twin disk with a stock adjuster and quadrant, if anyone is wondering. MGW shifter also. Any input is appreciated, definitely not looking forward to pulling the trans for the third time in a year.

Volatile

Destroyer of Alternators
Established Member
No, not at all. Still waiting for time off to pull the tranny out. Anyone have any ideas?

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I'm not sure but if it does turn out to be a bad syncro, I've got a brand new 3-4 syncro slider assembly I'll sell ya cheap. I had 3rd gear issues with my trans and bought it. Turned out to be a broken syncro key. I don't think you're going to get off that lucky as with mine, I could at least put it in gear if I rev matched.

GTBill

Established Member
i'm pretty sure if it was the syncro it would have been a gradual thing that started out as a simple buzz, then a grind, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread