Possible head gasket problem?

Jlewis2005

Hi guys, I'm new posting here and before you flame me for not searching; I have searched the web end to end and really just want the opinion of someone who has a lot of experience with these engines.
I have a 1997 cobra that has 55,000 miles and has a vortech supercharger on it. On the drivers side bank, the second piston from the back is getting fouled with oil and the car smokes a lot (mostly under high vacuum; like when you get on it then let off the gas) but clears up if you are driving steadily. I thought at first I had a ring problem because it pulses oil smoke out of the dipstick hole but both pistons on either side of the one that is fouling the plug are slightly tinged with oil. I haven't done a compression test yet but the car runs fine, doesn't miss (until the plug gets fouled), and there doesn't seem to be any coolant in the oil. I'm in the process of tearing the motor down but I thought I would ask to get some opinions from you guys; thanks in advance!

Jonesy98

Established Member
sounds like to me you have a bad spark plug seal. they go under the valve cover between the spark plug hold and the valve cover. i have had this issue once. easy fix but a PIA!!! you will have to buy a complete valve cover set usually about $55. its a little metal ring with a rubber center to keep oil out of the spark plug hole.

Jlewis2005

Thanks! Are those seals a common problem? Do you think that the other two plugs that have a little bit of oil on them (very little) are suffering the same fate? Thanks again.

Jlewis2005

Alright I'm really stumped now. I pulled my intake off and there is oil pooled around the bad cylinder on the top and bottom sides of the imrc and the oil is seeping through to the other cylinders on the same bank from the lower intake gaskets. How is oil getting up my intake runners; would that be valve seals? If so how is there oil smoke puffing out of my dip stick hole too?

johnwargo

Established Member
Similar Problem

Working on my dads car. 96 Cobra. Left bank (DS) ALL four plugs oil fouled. Right side are pristine. WTF, Anyone have any ideas. Car only has 32K original miles and is in "like new" condition. I doubt cylinders 5,6,7 & 8 all have bad valve stem seals at the same time as this problem started with no prior warning. The car smokes like crazy when you start it up.
Please Help.
Thanks
JW

Users who are viewing this thread