Possible PATS Issue?

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
Hey guys, the cobra has been giving me a new issue lately....it will shut off out of nowhere even while driving and the car loses all power. Not even the hazards will work and the theft light blinks really fast. If I turn the key, nothing, no power at all. After a few minutes of sitting the car will start and act normal again. I don't need this happening mid boost for sure. Has anybody experienced anything like this? Does it sound like a PATS problem? Is it as simple as getting a new key or something much more in depth? Thanks in advance!

forged00

Established Member
Did you have your car tuned with a tuner, or just had the PCM flashed? I know whenever you use a handheld you're supposed to disable PATS and your adaptive strategy so your PCM won't try to recalibrate itself whenever it starts reading your rich LT and ST fuel trims.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
Did you have your car tuned with a tuner, or just had the PCM flashed? I know whenever you use a handheld you're supposed to disable PATS and your adaptive strategy so your PCM won't try to recalibrate itself whenever it starts reading your rich LT and ST fuel trims.

The car was tuned with an XCAL 2. The car has been on the current tune since about may 2010. Never experienced this before the past few weeks. Can I use the tuner to disable the PATS myself?

forged00

Established Member
I don't think you can from the tuner itself. Especially with an older model like the X2. I'm pretty sure you can only change it off the SCT Advantage software itself. So you've had the blower installed for 4 years with the same tune this whole time?

BlackVenom99

Established Member

You turn off adaptive to get the maf transfer dialed in, but then you turn it back on. Unless you desire turning PATS off you don't have to and shouldn't turn it off.

forged00

Established Member
You turn off adaptive to get the maf transfer dialed in, but then you turn it back on. Unless you desire turning PATS off you don't have to and shouldn't turn it off.

I guess it was a thing my tuner liked doing at the time. I know on my old '00 2V he had pats disabled since he prefered it to keep the adaptive strategy from changing. I didn't fully understand why since you can disable PATs and AS seperatly and they're two completely seperate systems, but I never questioned him on it.

@01greycobra - if it helps I had an issue about a week ago with my '99 cobra. Mine was a crank no start and had the theft light flashing really fast (like when you try to start it without a chipped key). I put the PATS in open mode (like programming a new key fob) and it fired up next crank right away. Been fine ever since.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
I guess it was a thing my tuner liked doing at the time. I know on my old '00 2V he had pats disabled since he prefered it to keep the adaptive strategy from changing. I didn't fully understand why since you can disable PATs and AS seperatly and they're two completely seperate systems, but I never questioned him on it.

@01greycobra - if it helps I had an issue about a week ago with my '99 cobra. Mine was a crank no start and had the theft light flashing really fast (like when you try to start it without a chipped key). I put the PATS in open mode (like programming a new key fob) and it fired up next crank right away. Been fine ever since.

Yes, I have had the KB on since May 2010 and this is the first time I am experiencing this.

The difference between our problems is your car would at least crank. When mine does this, it loses all power whatsoever, no lights will work, hazards, nothing. I have to hope I am somewhere where I can coast onto a shoulder or parking lot. It acts as if there is no battery connected until I let it sit for a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread