Possible theft of debit card information

4.698gt

Established Member
I went onto my online banking site today to check my account balance for my checking account and noticed it down 400+ dollars so, I immediately checked my last ten transactions and discovered payments to two international websites. One is a hostel site and the other is a place called dublinpass.com. I don't even own a passport so I have no reason to be making such purchases. I was wondering if I could get any advice on how to handle this situation. I can not seem to locate any information for a phone number on either site. Both of the transactions are being shown as debit transactions. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

4.698gt

Established Member
Will be doing that tomorrow. I also went back a couple weeks and found another unknown charge from some along the lines of voixpax global collectors. All of these transactions seem to happen right after I get gas from a particular gas station. merely spectulation at the moment though, just found it peculiar.

LS2GTO

Established Member
All of these transactions seem to happen right after I get gas from a particular gas station. merely spectulation at the moment though, just found it peculiar.

Well I don't know if this is relevant, but everytime I get gas (from either sunoco or shell) I get a temporary charge of $100 placed on my account from random companies that eventually dissapear and they never actually get placed on my account.

I saw this happen several times, so I looked closer at them and when they came in. It seemed like they were posted just after I got gas, and the name of the charge had either shell or sunoco in them, so I figured it was something to do with me purchasing gas. One day I decided to test this, and went to 5 different gas stations (all shell and sunoco) and got a little gas at each of them. Came back and saw 5 of these temporary transactions in the amount of $100 each, which once again never turned into a real charge.

So it may have something to do with getting gas, I would double check with your bank.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Well I don't know if this is relevant, but everytime I get gas (from either sunoco or shell) I get a temporary charge of $100 placed on my account from random companies that eventually dissapear and they never actually get placed on my account.

I saw this happen several times, so I looked closer at them and when they came in. It seemed like they were posted just after I got gas, and the name of the charge had either shell or sunoco in them, so I figured it was something to do with me purchasing gas. One day I decided to test this, and went to 5 different gas stations (all shell and sunoco) and got a little gas at each of them. Came back and saw 5 of these temporary transactions in the amount of $100 each, which once again never turned into a real charge.

So it may have something to do with getting gas, I would double check with your bank.

Are you doing pay at the pump? If it is the case it could be for the pre-authorization before filling, and then it gets wiped when the transaction is complete. Just a thought on that.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
Will be doing that tomorrow. I also went back a couple weeks and found another unknown charge from some along the lines of voixpax global collectors. All of these transactions seem to happen right after I get gas from a particular gas station. merely spectulation at the moment though, just found it peculiar.

This happened to my mother. Somehow the crooks had some sort of copier inside of the scanner at the gas station, and got her twice, and when she informed the gas station of this, they discovered it.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Are you doing pay at the pump? If it is the case it could be for the pre-authorization before filling, and then it gets wiped when the transaction is complete. Just a thought on that.

Yeah I figured it had something to do with that, I'm just wondering if the OP is experiencing the same thing seeing as how he mentioned those charges seem to happen when he buys gas.

JohninMD

Established Member
My wife had 850.00 charged to her a few months ago. It was for gold jewelry on a website. We contacted the bank(BOA) and then filed a police report. The officer was really nice about it but basically told us there was not much they could do because it was so difficult to determine where the actual crime was commited.

What it boiled down for us was basically someone got her info from a past online order, we arent sure where because it had to be an old order because they used an old billing zip code. So the person was in Ohio, based on the IP address of the order. (the jewlery website was very helpful and sent me the info when they realized the billing zip was wrong on the original order) The website was based out of CA, we live in Maryland.

The bank would not have even investigated this if it had gone through we were told because the cost to them was more to investigate than it was to refund our money. Your's is an even lower amount so I dont think much would ever happen. Maybe if you could prove it was happening local to you they can do more.

LSUstang05

Established Member
This is why my dad and I are huge fans of credit cards. Legally, you are only liable for $50 bucks of fraudulent charges on a CC. The laws are a little more vague on how much you are liable for if your debit card is stolen or something, though. The catch 22 is that the CC isn't directly taken from your bank account so it's easier to spend more money than you have.

OP, do what everybody here has told you and contact the fraud department at your bank. I would also consider using a Credit Card from now on instead, too.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
My wife had 850.00 charged to her a few months ago. It was for gold jewelry on a website. We contacted the bank(BOA) and then filed a police report. The officer was really nice about it but basically told us there was not much they could do because it was so difficult to determine where the actual crime was commited.

What it boiled down for us was basically someone got her info from a past online order, we arent sure where because it had to be an old order because they used an old billing zip code. So the person was in Ohio, based on the IP address of the order. (the jewlery website was very helpful and sent me the info when they realized the billing zip was wrong on the original order) The website was based out of CA, we live in Maryland.

The bank would not have even investigated this if it had gone through we were told because the cost to them was more to investigate than it was to refund our money. Your's is an even lower amount so I dont think much would ever happen. Maybe if you could prove it was happening local to you they can do more.

So your telling me that IF someone stole my information (Debit Card) Used it for about $100.00 or so. They bank would refund me do nothing about finding the criminal? Crazy! Do they at least look for the criminal based on the order information?

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I never use my debit card info on the phone anymore. last summer, i called to order a pizza, and the girl that took my order asked 2x for my cc number. i thought it was strange...but, the next day, she used that number to top off her prepaid cell phone, then a week later tried to do it again, but we placed a fraud alert on it. pizza hut refused to do anything about it...the bank never recouped the money, but did refund it back to us. and nearly a year later, she is still employed there.

it took about 3 months to get our funds back.

4.698gt

Established Member
Well I stopped at the bank on tuesday and filled out three affidavits of unauthorized forms that the bank has for these types of situations. The lady told me that I should get my money back but more then likely they wont be about to find the culprit.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
So I could steal peoples info, buy shit (cheap shit) less than $100 or even $500 and get away with it every now and then? Thats completely Sick.. I would so go e ninja on someone's ass.

hmm I did need some new parts...

off to the market!!

I kid! I kid!

yellow03cobra

Established Member
had some one buy a $1000 computer with my credit card. I eventually got the money back about a month later after disputing the charges. Had most of the persons info from the company they ordered it from and the shipping service that was being used. Gave the info to the police and nothing was done about it. It's unfortunate that thieves get away with this stuff because people let them, even when caught. It's very common to end this way.

Users who are viewing this thread