Possible turbo rebuild..

RussZTT

Established Member
Got about 80 miles on my THP kit now. I know the kit has been sitting for a few years and I think the seals in one of them are bad. While cruising I see smoke behind me once in a while. :bash:

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2CwBwrdnvA"]YouTube - How to rebuild a T3/T4 Turbo[/nomedia]

RussZTT

Established Member
No, only when cruising or slowing down. Im pretty sure its the exhaust seal since its only coming out of one pipe.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
then i doubt its your turbo seals. it would happen more under boost because the pressure on both side of the turbo increases and blows by the seals.

RussZTT

Established Member
then i doubt its your turbo seals. it would happen more under boost because the pressure on both side of the turbo increases and blows by the seals.
Not true. Seal is a seal, doesn't matter if its under boost or not, trust me Ive had my 300zx twin turbo for 14 years and have been through enough turbos to know. The turbo has some shaft play so that right there tells me the clearances are off.

Rings are good, its a fresh motor and didn't smoke an ounce with the Eaton on it.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Not true. Seal is a seal, doesn't matter if its under boost or not, trust me Ive had my 300zx twin turbo for 14 years and have been through enough turbos to know. The turbo has some shaft play so that right there tells me the clearances are off.

Rings are good, its a fresh motor and didn't smoke an ounce with the Eaton on it.

doesnt necessarily mean their not bad, you could be getting blow by.

04cobrawhine

Established Member

so when you put more pressure inside the turbos and spin them faster, the seals "seal" themselves? you said it doesnt do it under boost. how is that posible? i could be wrong but please explain.

RussZTT

Established Member
so when you put more pressure inside the turbos and spin them faster, the seals "seal" themselves? you said it doesnt do it under boost. how is that posible? i could be wrong but please explain.
What I meant was that it doesn't smoke under boost. Only when cruising or acceleration. :beer:

turbo'd 03

Established Member
I have the same problem. I had my heads P&P and new cams. I went ahead and put new bearings and rings in the car. When i got it back smoking out both tips. I took it back to the shop, they pulled the heads and some of the seals were bad. It got fixed at no expense. Know I'm seeing some smoke out of the passenger side tip. It doesn't smoke on the highway or under boost. The only time it smokes is in stop and go traffic. My shop told me the same thing, that the seal on exhaust side is leaking a bit.
Know, when I'm at a light and it starts smoking, I can rev it up a few times and the smoke clears right up. I'm just gonna drive mine for the rest of the good days we have left then send them both back to Precision.

Just my .02....I thinks it the seal also:beer:

Last edited:

prostkr

Established Member
It makes me lol with all the bad ring posts. Can you fools read? The car has never smoked with the eaton on it, he drives it in the garage (running perfectly) removes the eaton and installs the (used) turbo kit. Now it smokes a bit and has bad rings. You best get that engine ripped out Russ, your rings went bad while you were working on it.

RussZTT

Established Member
Well got the turbo rebuilt...for free. It was out of spec pretty good. At first they were going to charge me almost $500 when I told them I called 5 other places and they charge around $300-$350, so he said he would do it for $300. Got there and apparently one of his guys sand blasted the ceramic coating off the exhaust side. I was pretty pissed about it when I was handing him money and he said not to worry about it. Told him I didn't want him to work free that I would pay him for the work he did and again he said not to worry about it. So, it was free just sucks I'll have to go get it coated again.

Oh, guess this fixed my ring problem to cause no more smoke! :D

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Who did you have do it? I have a little smoke at decell in 3rd and 4th and my "brand new" turbo had excessive shaft play out the box but I figured since it was new oh well.

RussZTT

Established Member
Who did you have do it? I have a little smoke at decell in 3rd and 4th and my "brand new" turbo had excessive shaft play out the box but I figured since it was new oh well.
BB turbos do have little shaft play which is normal but mine are not, non BB turbos have NO shaft play, if it does then send it back. The pass side is perfect but the one that was smoking had a good amount. Also, you can see wetness behind the exhaust wheel. :beer:

I need to get you that other cluster.

Users who are viewing this thread