Possibly a MEPS disqualification. Need opinions.

faststang87

Smoke Em!
Established Member
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions for you considering a possible disqualification. Little back story... I was in the Police Academy in 2008 and dislocated my shoulder, I finished the police Academy and ended up having surgery on my shoulder, it did not tear my rotator cuff and it was a minor surgery, nothing bad. I went two years before my shoulder came out again. I did physical therapy and it was again fine, occasionally it will sublex (sp?) but I have full range of motion and the doctor said with strength it wont be as likely to come out again. My shoulder does not hurt or anything, my questions is can I get a wavier? Keep in mind I have been a cop for about 4 years now. So I have done defensive tactics, worked out and done a lot of things with my shoulder with no problems. My Orthopedic Doctor who did the surgery said I am good and can get in. I have been wanting to serve for a long time. This is actually my dream. However I don't want something as stupid as my shoulder to stop me. I just need some truthful answers or see if anyone has similar experience. On another forum someone had three surgeries and still got in. So does it depend on the MEPS doctor? I appreciate any answers you guys can give me.

Thanks! :banana:

Adam

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What branch of the military?? In all honest I don't think it'll be a problem.. I've seen them let in people with full blown knee surgery and stuff.. I think you'll be just fine.

faststang87

Smoke Em!
Established Member
I appreciate it man, the branch is National Guard. I am keeping in contact with my recruiter and he says that he does not think it will be a problem, but he will have to see. He did say however that it might require a wavier.

faststang87

Smoke Em!
Established Member
That is true, I have heard people doing that however, when they get caught lying they get an dishonorable discharge. I would not want to risk that.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I broke my wrist, broke the ball off one bone and cracked the other bone....all a week after I entered the DEP. a plate, 5 screws, a pin, and 6 months in a cast later...I could use my wrist again.

Long story short, I got a waiver, my orthopedic surgeon was luckily a retired navy captain, orthopedic surgeon, and wrote a recommendation letter for me. I finally got accepted before my ship date, and all was well. While in I had a few minor issues with it and the military still covered those doctor visits.

So, you can either go that route and get a doctors recommendation, or never mention it.

TrevorR90

Banned
Depends on if the doctor at meps will think its a problem. I have a friend who is in that had a complete acl pcl tear and he had surgery on it and is in the Army.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I've heard they're highly cutting down on the amount of waviers they're giving out these days. The military is extremely over strengthed right now. Honestly I wouldn't mention if I was you. But as long as the PA will bless off on it you should be fine.

FEARED

Established Member
The best thing you can do is go to MEPS and mention it. As long as it doesnt prohibit you from doing your duties on a daily basis, you should be fine. The only way to find out is by going.

OU812

Established Member
I had ACL surgery and came in with no problems, then again that was back in 2000 when they needed people. I've had 2 more surgeries on the same knee now, one to repair the shoddy work on my ACL and one was for a meniscus tear, so if you have anymore problems with it they will definitely take care of you.

faststang87

Smoke Em!
Established Member
I appreciate all of your guy's help. I am going to go up there and see. If I get DQ'd and I cant get a wavier, I mean at least I tried. However I am going to fight to get that wavier. you guys have helped me a lot... Thanks!!!!!! :beer:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Alot of people dont mention it

I did it. I broke my arm in 8th grade and was put under for them to snap it back in place. Technically that is surgery. But that was 7 years before joining. As far as the military is concerned, I have not broken a bone. Just saying.

boduke0220

Established Member
I did it. I broke my arm in 8th grade and was put under for them to snap it back in place. Technically that is surgery. But that was 7 years before joining. As far as the military is concerned, I have not broken a bone. Just saying.

+1 I may or may not have forgot to mention something at meps.

yelostang

Established Member
When I was AD AF back in 03, I got into a pretty bad wreck and broke my right femur. I had surgery and had to have a rod placed in my leg and the bone set. About a year later I broke my left ankle while riding a bike. I had another surgery to remove all the hardware in my leg a little after the bike wreck.

When I did the medical part of the application to be an officer I had to disclose all that stuff and had to have my medical records checked. They basically said that as long as I can meet the physical requirements like running and push-ups it doesn't matter.

If your shoulder doesn't bother you and if you have proof from the doc that it isn't bad anymore then you should be good.

faststang87

Smoke Em!
Established Member
Thanks for your guys help in the matter.. Like I said before this is something that I have wanted to do for awhile, and I am willing to do as much as I can to get there.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Dont mention it at all, if you are fine thats all they care about. It will benefit you once you ETS. PM anyone here for more info

Users who are viewing this thread