Post some pics of Sn95's with IRS swaps!

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I don't know how many people on here have done it, but I'dlike to see what you guyus have done to resolve the exhaust in the back. Since our cars don't have cut-outs in the bumper, it would seem that the pipes should sit lower in the rear. I'm not sure how low the 99-04 bumper is compared to ours, so I'd like to see some pics to see what it looks like from the back, and what you guys are doing with the piping.

I have a guy localy that I'm going to do the swap with, so any help you can offer would be appreciated!

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I found a couple myself, so I'll start it off.

irs00001.jpg

irs00002.jpg
[/QUOTE]

MouTine

Established Member
I'm interested to see pics of intalling proces. Anyone? Any write up? How hard job it is to do? How many custom made parts or is it straight bolt on job?

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
there was someone over on ModularFords.com i think that did a write up. not that bad of a job from what i remember. you do have to drill and tap holes for the top IRS mounts, but i think thats about all the fab work... dont quote me. lol. if someone local had a IRS cheap, my SRA would be gone.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I wonder why the third pic makes the piping under the tank look so much lower than the other two? That's the thing that concerns me. The 1st pic looks perfect, and you can't reaaly tell about the second one. I'm doing it regardless, but I am just trying to figure out what the best thing I can do about the exhaust is.

upon further review, the 1st car doesn't look as low in general as the other two. Do you know where i could find another pic of the bluw car? that looks very close to my ride height.

Last edited:

Rev Happy

Established Member
I have a 99-04 Mac Prochamber with a 99-04 Mac catback and everything needed to be modified to fit correctly. I'll get pics of mine tonight when I get home from work and go over more in detail on what had to be done.

venomous99

Established Member
regarding the tailpipes u may or may not need to get the pipes aligned. in my case, no matter how i repositioned the catback, i couldnt get one side to come out even w/ the opposite side so ill probably end up taking my car to get the pipes aligned at an exhaust shop.
make sure to tap the frame for the irs bracket vertical bolts. some ended up drilling a hole through the frame through the trunk floor where they used a reinforcement plate to mount the bolt. i had enough material to tap the frame and run some bolts through. keep in mind, to access bracket for tapping you'll need to drop your gastank especially for the passenger side, which is extra tight.
you'll need a m12 tap i believe if you plan on using the same sort of bolts used on the irs bracket. since the irs is out, you should take advantage of this and install some irs upgrades like a bushing kit, low profile irs bolt, irs brackets, brace, etc. it will make your life a whole lot easier than having to redo this when the irs is out. u also might want to consider swapping out your fuel filter.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Unless you're just going for a street cruiser, which OP's mod list does not look like, I don't understand why you would swap to IRS.

It's certainly not a full on drag setup, and most autocross and road race classes restrict the suspension so this modification would put you in an almost full race class. Even if you were in such a class, a torque arm and a panhard bar can arguably provide better on track performance.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
What kind of spoiler is on that yellow car??? anybody know???

that spolier is the V6 add on (if you ordered one from the dealer) in 94-98 for the SN body. a factory spoiler was the same as the GT, but if you wanted to get one for a V6, and didnt order the GT one, thats what you would have got.:dancenana:

95gts5oh

wat
Established Member
upon further review, the 1st car doesn't look as low in general as the other two. Do you know where i could find another pic of the bluw car? that looks very close to my ride height.

The first two pictures are of the same car. Just one is black and white for some reason. I'm not sure on the setup of either car though.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
The first two pictures are of the same car. Just one is black and white for some reason. I'm not sure on the setup of either car though.

Well, you fooled me. I thought for sure the 1st pic was higher. That's pretty encouraging though, since the second pic looks pretty low, and the 1st onie looks like it's got plenty of ground clearance.

As for the people questioning me about it, this IS a daily driver, and I that's about the extent that I'd like to discuss my motivation behind doing it.

Rev Happy

Established Member
a torque arm and a panhard bar can arguably provide better on track performance.

Not saying you personally, but there are a lot of people out there in the Mustang community who are uneducated to say the least when it comes to an IRS suspension.

In terms of handling, an IRS is in a completely different league than a stick axle, period. Yes, you can setup a solid axle to handle great, but you can also do the same with an IRS. Before I made the swap, I had H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, MM adjustable control arms, and a MM panhard bar. The rear handled pretty good with this setup. Obviously, I was missing the added grip that the torque arm would have provided, but the rear would still stay parallel with the front when on the throttle coming out of a turn. Swapping over to the 04 IRS brought no comparison with the only mod being H&R springs as everything else was stock. The stock rubber bushings are the biggest draw back to a stock Ford IRS and should be the first thing that goes when modifying them.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Those are great. This is a question based upon my ignorance, but does anyone know if the diff is supposed to have any vertical motion independant from the floorplan? I know the point of an IRS is to have the wheels moving seperatly from the diff and each other, but I don't have any information about the diff itself.

I only ask because that exhaust looks close to the diff. I'm not even sure if there is anyone in town talented enough to get it done that well.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Not saying you personally, but there are a lot of people out there in the Mustang community who are uneducated to say the least when it comes to an IRS suspension.

In terms of handling, an IRS is in a completely different league than a stick axle, period. Yes, you can setup a solid axle to handle great, but you can also do the same with an IRS. Before I made the swap, I had H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, MM adjustable control arms, and a MM panhard bar. The rear handled pretty good with this setup. Obviously, I was missing the added grip that the torque arm would have provided, but the rear would still stay parallel with the front when on the throttle coming out of a turn. Swapping over to the 04 IRS brought no comparison with the only mod being H&R springs as everything else was stock. The stock rubber bushings are the biggest draw back to a stock Ford IRS and should be the first thing that goes when modifying them.

The panhard bar makes a lot more difference than the torque arm.
MM themselves recommends not swapping to IRS.
As do a lot of road racers.

Users who are viewing this thread