Power Loss - Questions

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
Hey guys....

My GT500 is confusing me. I went and got a tune recently because the previous tune had no drive-ability. The shop I took it to added a blower idler because they said I had bad belt slip. Also let me say I have a 2.59 vmp upper pulley, IW 10% lower pulley, kooks longtubes, upgraded intercooler reservoir, and an afco dual fan H/E. SO anyways they installed the part and tuned the car. It only made 565 on their dyno and they proceeded to tell me it should be making 600 (which I already knew) but they couldnt figure out why it wouldnt. What kind of shop does that?

So I am trying to figure it out myself. I don' know what kind of boost I am supposed to be making but my dash gauge peaks at 9lbs. I jumpered the intercooler relay and the fans and pump kicked on. I noticed that IAT's climbed fast after a short run, like a pull in second gear only. They would reach 140 degrees and the spark advance dropped to 13.

At this point I have no idea where to go next. Obviously I need to go ahead and get this tuned again by a different shop but I just wanted to rule out anything non-tune related.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
You've got some intercooler related problems if you're seeing 140 degrees after a short pull. With the pump jumpered does the fluid flow well? The reservoir should look like a hot tub.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
19cobra93 is right, if you don't already have one buy a stock appearance 3x over flow tank for the intercooler, there nice cause you can see the fluid running through it on the dyno, also are you dynoing on a mustang dyno, they will usually read lower than a dynojet, my car only made 547 on mustang dyno but made 564 on a dyno jet, and you probably won't see 600 wheel on stock blower car, maybe with E85 or race gas but not pump. Hope this helps you a little. Also make sure your AFRs are safe.

Last edited:

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
2011 gtcs : When I first bought the car it had just had all these parts installed and it had made 584/596 so you could be right. But even still...PSI says it made 565 but it doesnt even feel like 400hp at times. It feels like its pulling a huge amount of timing or something.

I already have the stock appearance 3x over flow tank and yes, 19cobra93, it looks like a hot tub in there when jumpered. I am concerned as well about the IAT coming up so quickly. It doesn't help im sure that it's a hot as h*ll day in Houston today. Can someone tell me how the spark advance equation works?

The shop in Houston that won't return my calls or emails is PSI.

What about boost pressure? Anyone know what I should be seeing?

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
PSI is right around the corner from me - literally. When you have their attention, they're great. But it's hard to get on their radar. If the whole H/E circuit is working properly, it may be a tune issue. It's been hot as hell lately in Houston, and I'm noticing a big dip in power compared to only a month ago. But with your mods, you should be making some more power.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
The stock boost gaige is unreliable. You should see in the 10-12 range with the pulley. Are there bubbles in the coolant tank? You might be pushing air through the system. Also, is the pump and fans set to run full time?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
You are maxing out the stock blower with the upper and lower pulley, but you shouldn't be dropping power like that, maybe call van or Justin about getting a email tune, or just there thoughts on what's going on with your car, they are both great guys and very helpful.

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
The stock boost gaige is unreliable. You should see in the 10-12 range with the pulley. Are there bubbles in the coolant tank? You might be pushing air through the system. Also, is the pump and fans set to run full time?

I cannot get PSI to respond to requests for information regarding the tune. I do not know what they set the intercooler pump and fans to come on at.

I do not believe there are any bubbles in the system, the flow seems to be pretty good judging by what I see happening in the reservoir.

Seems like I need to start with a new tune and go from there.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
19cobra93 is right, if you don't already have one buy a stock appearance 3x over flow tank for the intercooler, there nice cause you can see the fluid running through it on the dyno, also are you dynoing on a mustang dyno, they will usually read lower than a dynojet, my car only made 547 on mustang dyno but made 564 on a dyno jet, and you probably won't see 600 wheel on stock blower car, maybe with E85 or race gas but not pump. Hope this helps you a little. Also make sure your AFRs are safe.

Not true, I just hit 601RWHP/605TQ stock blower on 93 octane w/ similar mods as the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread