Power Steering Fluid Leak?

IllestSVT

Established Member
Well I saw some red fluid on the garage floor this morning so I jacked up the car to see where it was coming from. Relieved that it wasn't the tranny I noticed that it was coming from the boot cover by the rack and pinion.

Does anyone know what would cause this and how much Im looking at to get it fixed? I heard that it would be the seal in the rack and that I would have to replace the whole thing. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

03sonicblu

going 4 broke
Established Member
you gotta replace the whole rack...I just did the same thing on Saturday.....try to find one used with low miles.....new they are $300+ from the ford parts guy here on SVT

IllestSVT

Established Member
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Probably going to have to fork over the dough and just buy a new one.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Since it has different steering ratios, I'm thinking Ford may be your only option. You might want to check Moog and see if they have a listing that is NOT consolidated to another application.

03sonicblu

going 4 broke
Established Member
wanna rack

I got mine last week from Lou at Laurel Mountain Mustang.....guess I got lucky, he took it out of his car when it had 3500 miles on the ticker. Some places were selling them for like $200 new...but are all out now. Try calling the salvage place Mustang Parts Specialities. Im sure there are other out there too. Just do a google search for "mustang salvage" If I remember correctly there is one in either UT or CO, I called them and they had one for like $150
www.stangparts.com

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i paid ~$150 from http://www.performancepartsinc.com/main.htm a few months back.

this is a job you can do in the driveway. its also a good time to upgrade to a solid steering shaft and solid rack bushings.

dont forget two new teflon o-rings for the lines.

03sonicblu said:
you gotta replace the whole rack...I just did the same thing on Saturday.....try to find one used with low miles.....new they are $300+ from the ford parts guy here on SVT

03sonicblu

going 4 broke
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
i paid ~$150 from http://www.performancepartsinc.com/main.htm a few months back.

this is a job you can do in the driveway. its also a good time to upgrade to a solid steering shaft and solid rack bushings.

They are now out of them.....i tried to buy one from them last week.
I did just find this place online, give them a try:
www.mackenziemustang.com/

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
I blew up the seals in my rack about 3 weeks ago.

I believe what caused it was turning the wheel all the way to the right lock when the car was completely shut off. Started the car back up and it just sprayed PSF out of the front wheels. Got it back up on the lift and the seals were about 3 times larger than their normal size.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:

Did it have the stops already in it for the 275 tires???

The ratio of the rack is not the tough part... quick racks have been used for quite a while...fairly common...

But 03/04s and probably Y2K-R have "fatty" tires that would hit the inner fenders.... unless they have the stops in the rack.

You could probably pick up a regular quick rack(GT/Mach1..ETC)... and put the stops in your self....(I think...)

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread