power steering isssues.

Tomcat5157

Established Member
so i have a 1968 with a 302 in it and it runs like a dream the only thing wrong with it right now is the power steering. first the guy i bought it from didnt have any fluid in the reservoir so i added fluid. for a while all it did was make a grinding noise when the rpm's got high. now no grinding noise but still no power steering.... any suggestions?

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
The pump may have burned itself out if it ran with no fluid.

Make sure to properly bleed the air from the power steering system if you change the pump again. Have the front wheels off the ground when you start the car for the first time with the new pump. Cycle the steering wheel back and forth several times, and keep topping off the reservoir until it remains at the normal operating level. Only then do you drop it down and test drive it.

Tomcat5157

Established Member
ok so now theres like two inches of play in my steering and the car wanders around the road with out input. i checked and the arm coming out if the steering box moves in relation to the steering wheel just fine but the linkage where it contacts the rest of the steering is where all the play is. is it just a bushing or are there bigger problems i dont know about?

210Spencer

Established Member
Where the pitman arm (the arm off the steering box) meets the rest is a pivoting bit that is the actuator for the power steering servo. It should move in relation to the center link/steering arm, especially when there is no system pressure. Try securely taking the weight off the wheels and looking at that spot while someone else turns the wheel with the engine on. If it doesn't return to center when the wheel is no longer turned it's probably worn out.

Tomcat5157

Established Member
ok so that servo is definitely worn out. needs to be replaced along with my power steering pump and a couple of lines. any idea where i can get these parts? id like this car to be as close to original as possible when im done. ( except the exhaust!).

Tomcat5157

Established Member
ok does anyone know the name of the part where the pitman arm attaches to the rest of the power steering? i have to buy a new part but need to know what part i need.

Tomcat5157

Established Member
not sure could be i looked around everywhere for a diagram of the power steering for this car and couldnt find anything. its the connecting point for the pitman arm and the rest of the steering.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Yes, the Idler Arm and Pitman Arm connect to the Center link.

Go to the CJ Pony parts link I posted earlier, and order a free parts catalog for 1965-1973. It will help you with a ton more parts questions.

Users who are viewing this thread