Power Steering Issues

Bootbox

Established Member
2001 w/92,000mi - I've been noticing a groaning noise from the front end when I'm turning the wheel at low speeds.

This morning I saw a foot wide puddle of thin, odorless, seemingly non-viscous, brownish fluid on the garage floor under my truck. I'm assuming for now that it's power steering fluid as it's way too far forward (basically directly below the driver side headlight) to be engine oil or a/c runoff. I suppose it could be dirty antifreeze/water too, not sure yet.

Are there any common power steering related issues with these trucks? Lines that go? Seals in the gearbox that leak over time? Anything with the pump or it's seals going bad?

If it turns out I need new power steering parts is there an upgrade path people take (pump or rack from an Expedition or something like that sort of thing) or is it better to just get whatever parts I need from the Ford parts counter and call it a day?

Last edited:

JoeyWOT

Shitstick
Established Member
Get under it with a drop light and see if you can tell where it is coming from. If it is puddiling that means there would be a substantial amount of moisture where it was dripping. Once you isolate it post up where it is coming from and we can better help you

Bootbox

Established Member
Didn't get a chance to get under it yet but I checked the coolant overflow tank and it's empty and the power steering fluid is full.

I'll update when I find out where the coolant is leaking from.

JoeyWOT

Shitstick
Established Member
I'd just drain the radiator because if the fluid is brown then it needs flushed. You can force water through the radiator with a hose and then watch for it coming out of anywhere it's not supposed to

Users who are viewing this thread