Power Steering?

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
I have noticed that my power steering makes a slight (not very loud at all) wining sound when I am turning at very low speeds. Is this a common occurrence?

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
I never fixed anything. I sold it to a friend of mine and it still does it. It wasn't the pump and didn't sound mechanical. The noise came from inside the vehicle and wasn't very noticable, so I never looked into it.

OutlawdSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by rilestoneSVT
I have noticed that my power steering makes a slight (not very loud at all) wining sound when I am turning at very low speeds. Is this a common occurrence?

Welcome to Ford.

Seriously though how many miles on your car? Ford has always had some what of a whine coming from the P/S pump. Check fluid

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
I've got 58K on it and I checked the fluid. Jason43 is right, it doesn't sound mechanical and it comes from inside the vehicle. The steering doesn't seem to be affected at all. Thanks for the reassurement.

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Most likely a piece of rubber rubbing on a piece of plastic, or something along those lines. The whine that comes from many ford pumps is more of a hissing sound and is perfectly normal.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
When is the last time you flushed your power steering system?

It should be done as regular maintenance.

Also it takes Mercon ATF and NOT regular (and very thin!) P/S fluid.

I strongly recommend using Mobil 1 ATF.

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Good to know, I haven't flushed the system at all... I'm kinda a dumb ass when it comes to minor things like this, what would this cost at my mechanic's shop?

Users who are viewing this thread