Powerball Pool?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder if it is NY. Only saying that because yesterday afternoon I was in the store and a lady was buying tickets and the clerk said there was something wrong with the machine and she would have to enter the lady's number choices manually.

FWIW: I would seriously contemplate taking the annuity over the lump sum.
Had a similar issue in Ohio happen a few times once it hit 1,000,000,000. Only affected certain places though, grocery store was down while the gas station was up.

If what I read was correct the annuity would be ~45,000,000 a year for 30 years (starts at 20M the first year and goes up), not certain if that accounted for all taxes though. I think I could manage with 1.368B over 30 years vice 668.9M right now.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I wonder if it is NY. Only saying that because yesterday afternoon I was in the store and a lady was buying tickets and the clerk said there was something wrong with the machine and she would have to enter the lady's number choices manually.

FWIW: I would seriously contemplate taking the annuity over the lump sum.

Practicing for today.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Had a similar issue in Ohio happen a few times once it hit 1,000,000,000. Only affected certain places though, grocery store was down while the gas station was up.

If what I read was correct the annuity would be ~45,000,000 a year for 30 years (starts at 20M the first year and goes up), not certain if that accounted for all taxes though. I think I could manage with 1.368B over 30 years vice 668.9M right now.
I wasn't aware that it was laddered that way. Over 30 years in equal amounts it would 63 million and change per annum. I kind of like the idea of getting that check every year for three decades. It's also a wise thing for people who are bad with money. If you blow your 63 million in 6 months just wait another 6 months and you'll get another 63m. Hopefully you will have learned your lesson.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like Im still working for a living, hey Weather Man you gonna put this pool in another thread or this one???

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the breakdown. The non-tax states gets you, on average, an extra 100 million. And *Jay* was right about how the monies are laddered if one elects the annuity.
What happens to the annuity when you die?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on the state. Some it goes to your estate, others it goes to the state.
I thought I had heard that you could lose it upon death. I will just do the lump sum when I win.

VegasMichael

Established Member
313436009_10228286706414970_5965847067570932489_n.jpg

Blown 89

Established Member
I thought I had heard that you could lose it upon death. I will just do the lump sum when I win.
With that much money at stake you're likely to lose it even in states where you're supposed to get it. I know people that have been embattled with the state for years in court over large inheritances because their parents were too stupid to get their affairs in order prior to death.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With that much money at stake you're likely to lose it even in states where you're supposed to get it. I know people that have been embattled with the state for years in court over large inheritances because their parents were too stupid to get their affairs in order prior to death.

Yep.

Anyone who is handing down anything over $250k, better get that shit written out and organized with their attorney beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread