Powerwashing noob

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
ok so I bought a new powerwasher a Powerstroke 3100PSI with a subaru motor. I plan to use it for things like washing my driveway / house siding/ etc. I also plan to use it to wash my vehicles. I am wondering how many of you guys use one and what soap do you use in it.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I have a Generac model that i use for everything from washing the Cobra to power washing my siding. It came with three different nozzles for specific jobs.

Also has a soap tank i fill with anything from Megs Gold Class to Chemical Guys products.

Just bought a foam cannon attachment off Amazon for the PW and i definitely recommend one.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Just watch your PSI...turn it down if possible/adjustable before using it on your vehicle. And, as Hudson said, a foam cannon is an awesome tool to have when you are using a psi washer.

Any car shampoo will work, some will foam better than others is all.

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
Here's the cannon I ordered, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DKC6IY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It works and gets the job done like it should. The ones on auto geek etc. websites are a lot higher. Personal preference I guess, but for your own daily, I don't think it's necessary to go overboard on price, all you need is a good rich foam. If you were a pro doing Lambos and Ferrari's I'd probably get something a little higher priced. I just use the cheap non-wax stripping Oreily's brand soap for the cannon and use Meguiars for my actual 2 bucket wash.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
^I have the same foam cannon and it works awesome! Very solid and no way I'd spend anymore than I did. I also use Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II and it also does a pretty decent job.

Franco

Established Member
Just watch your PSI...turn it down if possible/adjustable before using it on your vehicle. And, as Hudson said, a foam cannon is an awesome tool to have when you are using a psi washer.

Any car shampoo will work, some will foam better than others is all.

I always wondered about the psi. I'm a big 2 bucket fan. Always scared of catching a chip on the paint and creating a bigger issue.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
^I have the same foam cannon and it works awesome! Very solid and no way I'd spend anymore than I did. I also use Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II and it also does a pretty decent job.
I am getting ready to oder a foam canon from amazon. I was looking at the Maxi Suds as well. How much do you put in the cannon?

There is a reason I have paid to have my cars done LOL! soo much crap out there and competing claims.

one good thing I did was when I had my new water softener installed I had them put a connection on it in the garage so I could wash my cars with soft water if I decided to. My plan is to wash and rinse with the power washer and dry with my air compressor. totally hands free wash if at all possible

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I am getting ready to oder a foam canon from amazon. I was looking at the Maxi Suds as well. How much do you put in the cannon?

There is a reason I have paid to have my cars done LOL! soo much crap out there and competing claims.

one good thing I did was when I had my new water softener installed I had them put a connection on it in the garage so I could wash my cars with soft water if I decided to. My plan is to wash and rinse with the power washer and dry with my air compressor. totally hands free wash if at all possible

I'd say I put a little over an 1/8 in and fill the rest with water. I believe I tried more and it didn't foam any better and I felt like I was wasting soap. I can foam my entire car three times with a little left over before rinsing it off.

I have a black car, so a simple soap and rinse doesn't produce great results. I rinse off any heavy dirt, then foam the entire car. Using a wash mitt/two bucket method, I rub a panel down (entire drivers door) and then refoam that panel, move to the next. Eventually I've done the entire car. I use whatever soap I have left in the cannon and do the entire car until it turns to water. Switch the tip to then rinse the entire car off. Sounds like a lot, but it's actually pretty quick IMO. I top it off with Blackfire Crystal Seal since it's stupid easy to apply and IMO, does a decent job.

08mojo

Established Member
My plan is to wash and rinse with the power washer and dry with my air compressor. totally hands free wash if at all possible

The air compressor is not a great option for drying the car. Get yourself a cheap, electric leaf blower instead.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I'd say I put a little over an 1/8 in and fill the rest with water. I believe I tried more and it didn't foam any better and I felt like I was wasting soap. I can foam my entire car three times with a little left over before rinsing it off.

I have a black car, so a simple soap and rinse doesn't produce great results. I rinse off any heavy dirt, then foam the entire car. Using a wash mitt/two bucket method, I rub a panel down (entire drivers door) and then refoam that panel, move to the next. Eventually I've done the entire car. I use whatever soap I have left in the cannon and do the entire car until it turns to water. Switch the tip to then rinse the entire car off. Sounds like a lot, but it's actually pretty quick IMO. I top it off with Blackfire Crystal Seal since it's stupid easy to apply and IMO, does a decent job.
good stuff .... once i get all the crap I need we will see how it goes.

thanks for the replies so far .... now all I need to do is remember to take a back pill before I start LOL

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
What PSI range is recommended for pressure washers for washing cars?

I have a Generac OneWash. Bought it I think three years ago. Works great.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-...able-Speed-Gas-Pressure-Washer-6602/205143587
You can adjust the psi from 2000-3100. It's done by simply adjusting the engine rpm. I normally use it at the 2000 psi setting.

3a1b11e3-f961-4880-b2e1-5044283d730c_1000.jpg

Getting an electric leaf blower to dry your car is a great idea. You can get one for $50.
I use my Stihl gas powered leaf blower.

BTW: I just ordered the foam cannon listed above because of this thread!

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Foam cannon is a great attachment Lambeau you won't be disappointed. I have the same pressure washer and i couldn't agree more, it's a great unit.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have a Generac OneWash. Bought it I think three years ago. Works great.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-...able-Speed-Gas-Pressure-Washer-6602/205143587
You can adjust the psi from 2000-3100. It's done by simply adjusting the engine rpm. I normally use it at the 2000 psi setting.

3a1b11e3-f961-4880-b2e1-5044283d730c_1000.jpg

Getting an electric leaf blower to dry your car is a great idea. You can get one for $50.
I use my Stihl gas powered leaf blower.

BTW: I just ordered the foam cannon listed above because of this thread!
Thanks for the link. I've been wanting one for a long time. It's just at the bottom of my list of needs lol.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Dave,

Before you run the washer, be sure to read the directions completely.

I would "assume" all these pressure washers are the same. So, with that being said, Generac says:
1) Make sure the water is on, and circulating through the pump before you start the engine. It's CRITICAL to its operation and life.
2) Also, IF you start the washer, don't let it idle too long. The water circulating in the pump will get hot and you can burn out the pump.
3) Never run hot water through it either.
4) I always prime it before I start the engine - hook all the hoses up with the nozzle and let the water run through it. You know, get all the air out of the lines.
5) As soon as I finish spraying with the engine on, I turn it off. I try not to let it idle too long is what I'm trying to say...lol.
6) They also make a "pump saver" lube that you hook-up to the pump and spray into it before storage:
generac+4oz+pump+shield_r.jpg

Briggs&Stratton makes the same stuff for less money too. I think they even have it at Wallyworld.

Maybe Tony can jump in...
But I've found that the length of the garden hose has a big impact on the washer as well. I think Generac tells you to use less than 50'. With the water pressure at my house, if I use 50' on the 3100 psi setting, it will run itself out of water... I normally use 25' of garden hose with this longer 50'x5/16" hose I bought from Generac:
http://www.generacpowerproducts.com...Generac-50ft-x-5-16in-Orange-Flex-Hose-QC.axd
(It came with a 30'x5/16" hose)
Good Luck!

Last edited:

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Dave,

Before you run the washer, be sure to read the directions completely.

I would "assume" all these pressure washers are the same. So, with that being said, Generac says:
1) Make sure the water is on, and circulating through the pump before you start the engine. It's CRITICAL to its operation and life.
2) Also, IF you start the washer, don't let it idle too long. The water circulating in the pump will get hot and you can burn out the pump.
3) Never run hot water through it either.
4) I always prime it before I start the engine - hook all the hoses up with the nozzle and let the water run through it. You know, get all the air out of the lines.
5) As soon as I finish spraying with the engine on, I turn it off. I try not to let it idle too long is what I'm trying to say...lol.
6) They also make a "pump saver" lube that you hook-up to the pump and spray into it before storage:
generac+4oz+pump+shield_r.jpg

Briggs&Stratton makes the same stuff for less money too. I think they even have it at Wallyworld.

Maybe Tony can jump in...
But I've found that the length of the garden hose has a big impact on the washer as well. I think Generac tells you to use less than 50'. With the water pressure at my house, if I use 50' on the 3100 psi setting, it will run itself out of water... I normally use 25' of garden hose with this longer 50'x5/16" hose I bought from Generac:
http://www.generacpowerproducts.com...Generac-50ft-x-5-16in-Orange-Flex-Hose-QC.axd
(It came with a 30'x5/16" hose)
Good Luck!

Solid advice right here and I follow these exact steps.

It can't be over emphasized that the water source must be connected before running the unit. I also check the oil before every start as well.

I also turn my washer off in between steps and keep the hose length to a minimum not over 50' but shorter if you can or you will run out of water even at the lower psi setting.

I also run non-ethanol gas in all my small engine equipment at the suggestion of the salesman at Home Depot who i was lucky enough to run into and whom just so happen to have worked for Troy-Bilt for 25 years.

AnarchyVA

Established Member
I use a power washer with a foam cannon using Chemical Guys honeydew soap. Its fun. And it gets off the majority of the loose dirt. But the end result is never amazing. I always have to go back over it the old fashioned way afterwards to REALLY get it clean.

Users who are viewing this thread