Pre-Runner to the 1993 Cobra: SAAC Mk1 Mustang

onequiklx

Established Member
there is a black one with white stripes local to us that the kid used to drive all the time till he got married and now it hasnt moved in 10-12 years out of the side of his garage. now that im reading this post i may just see if he would be interested in selling it. now that im thinkin about it the ford dealer in winamac sold a red one with white stripes new in 91-92 era

Last edited:

PxTx

I like cars and bikes
Established Member
There was only 1 black car with white stripes. Both the MKII cars offered red with white combo and black with gold, along with the white with blue. Wouldn't take much to make a black/white but the registry says there was only 1 made at a $pecial request.

I would pick up an of these cars while you can.
index.php

onequiklx

Established Member
There was only 1 black car with white stripes. Both the MKII cars offered red with white combo and black with gold, along with the white with blue. Wouldn't take much to make a black/white but the registry says there was only 1 made at a $pecial request.

I would pick up an of these cars while you can.
index.php

cool, i know when we checked the car out at a car show it had 5 lug and a tube style gt40 intake and a few other items i cant remember

buddha93

Established Member
cool, i know when we checked the car out at a car show it had 5 lug and a tube style gt40 intake and a few other items i cant remember

If that is the car, it would without a doubt be a needle in a haystack. I'd really be surprised if it is, but you never know.

04SVTMystic

Powered By Cyberdyne
Established Member
The SAAC Mustangs still look great. I also remember that their price was way too high for a guy in college....

PxTx

I like cars and bikes
Established Member
These cars are tough to put a price on. Maybe because I was lucky enough to get exposed to a SC car, but I would say they are on the upper scale of value. Other MKI and MKII cars with the GT40 engine package are in the middle ground, with the Snakes rounding out the bottom.

They are a great choice for a college guy who wants one and is fine with adding the HP they want (what college guy doesn't want more of that?). Heck just trying to find a set of Simmons wheels will probably bring you half way to that purchase price.

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Those cars were amazing back in the day. I think I still have a few magazines laying around where they were tested. Some of the articles in the picture thread look familiar. Very cool cars, but $50K in the early 90s was some serious money for a car.

scootro

Established Member
Those cars were amazing back in the day. I think I still have a few magazines laying around where they were tested. Some of the articles in the picture thread look familiar. Very cool cars, but $50K in the early 90s was some serious money for a car.

is that your 93 cobra on ebay right now?

richstang

Established Member
The SAAC cars were way overpriced and didn't sell at all. These cars are some of the rarest true production cars ever built. They were built by SAAC Car Company(not a tuner) with a possible production of 250 units predicted and advertised. The actual production total was 65. This included all prototypes, mk 1s, mk 2s and the snakes. These cars were developed with the help of Ford Motor Co. to introduce the GT40 motor package and get everything through Federal Emissions Standards in one package as opposed to each piece separately.

This saved Ford money and allowed SAAC Car Company to introduce a proven dynotested 295 horsepower 302. SVO helped with the rear disc brakes and other little tricks to help build a really Hot Mustang before anybody but tuners built such things. The initial response for these cars was so strong that Ford took note and came out with the Cobra in 1993.

Ford, obviously, could build a car cheaper than any small upstart company and they did and prematurely ended the production of the Mk 2s and Snakes. These cars were not cheap at $40,000 compared to a Cobra at $28,000 - but which one was faster? The only Mustang comparable was the Saleen SSC. The Mk 1s were built in 1991 and 1992. The Mk 2s and Snakes were built in 1993 with some being convertibles. All cars were numbered and are documented in the SAAC Registry. .

What a great thread! Let me jump in here and clear up a few errors. (I'm the current SAAC registrar for these '91-'93 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snakes)
There were actually 62 built cars (64 numbered but 2 were never started) Each model was built over a 2 year period; MKI '91-'92, MKII & Snakes '92-'93. Most cars were built in '92. Of the 62 built, only 14 were convertibles. I'm sure there's other info I could add as I continue to read through this thread.
If anyone knows the whereabouts of any of these cars please contact me so I can update the history for the upcoming registry. Thanks,
Rich

richstang

Established Member
Being one of the 3 factory SC cars is rather unique. I know there have been other SAAC cars which have had blowers added to them. The #015 car was sent back to the factory to have a Paxton installed, but it was not originally delivered with it. I also know of a fellow with #XX2 which also had a Paxton added later on in life.
To the best of my knowledge, the 3 factory SC cars all had Vortec blowers. I'm actually looking into the reason why. Vortec was a big sponsor in Pro 5.0 drag racing and with the influence of Steve Grebeck setting these cars up, that may be the reason. We'll see.

I don't know if any of the MkII or Snakes received blowers from the factory, but I somehow doubt it since they were seriously struggling with price by then. QUOTE]

From the code breakdown, There were 7 cars with factory added superchargers. Of the MKI's only 3 left the factory with the (Vortec) SC's. The MKI 015 was returned for the Paxton SC as Paul noted.

There was 1 MKII and 2 Snakes that also had them (all Vortec). I beleive only 1 Snake was built with it before it left the factory, the other 2 were returned and added at the factory later.

richstang

Established Member
there is a black one with white stripes local to us that the kid used to drive all the time till he got married and now it hasnt moved in 10-12 years out of the side of his garage. now that im reading this post i may just see if he would be interested in selling it. now that im thinkin about it the ford dealer in winamac sold a red one with white stripes new in 91-92 era

Sorry for the multiple posts (3rd)......

If you have it, would you send me the contact info for this owner of the Black with white stripes car, MKII 002. I'd like to get an update for the history of this car for the next SAAC registry. I think it might be legit as it was originally sold in Michigan.

Also, do you recall what car number the white car was the sold at the "Winamac" Ford Dealership (MI?) Since it was red it had to be '92. What was the Ford Dealership's name, Winamac Ford? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

richstang

Established Member

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
again, sorry for the continued multiple posts (4th)....

This was a legit car and selling price. The catch....it had around 100,000 miles on it. Even still, it was a well cared for a clean car for all that mileage.

#9 Snake is in my garage currently. Had it signed by Carroll before he passed. Love the car! It is slower than heck, but is very unique. The car looks as new! Headers are as new which really blows me away with 100,619 miles on it!

From what I have seen it is a 1 of 1 Snake with the red and black interior!

Mike

richstang

Established Member
Hey Mike, great to hear from you! I'm guessing you bought Snake 009 from Jesse K. in DE. Very cool to hear Carroll signed it. I'd like to talk to off line and get some updated history on your car.

There were 3 Snake hatchbacks in red built but....The first one was stolen a few weeks after it was built. It was stripped out and when recovered the shell was crushed/destroyed. That same owner had the second one built a few months later (same options as first car) Your 009 was the last built red hatch.

Last edited:

richstang

Established Member
What a great thread - I'm sub'd in. Such great cars, and such a great piece of Ford/Fox history!

I'm sure the answer is no, but does TMI have anyway to make a replacement leather interior for any of these three models? I know of one owner who need a full interior set to replace what was stolen out of his car years ago in NY.

Users who are viewing this thread