Pre-staging with Street Tires

To burnout or not to burnout on street tires, that is the question.

• No burnout

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Light burnout (couple seconds first smoking)

Votes: 46 79.3%
  • Full DR Style burnout

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vettezuki

NCRS's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
I was always told that if you're at the strip on street tires, drive around the water box and don't do any burnout. However, some guys who turn in very stout times on street tires, either do a light to basically full burnout.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Full burnouts are useless. The best thing to do is drive around the water box so you don't get water stuck in your tread, and do a light burnout (couple of turns) as to clean the shit off of them.

Vettezuki

NCRS's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
Full burnouts are useless. The best thing to do is drive around the water box so you don't get water stuck in your tread, and do a light burnout (couple of turns) as to clean the shit off of them.

Didn't even think of that as an option. Bypass waterbox and do light burnout.

Last edited:

mach4mark

Macher03
Established Member
+1 I was also taught if your running DR's on the back and street tires on the front to go around the water box, then back into the box for the burnout to heat the DR's up. :beer:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
+1 I was also taught if your running DR's on the back and street tires on the front to go around the water box, then back into the box for the burnout to heat the DR's up. :beer:

thats right....if you have skinnies then you may drive through the water box....man i hate it when morons drive through the box with street tires on, i have even seen some people drive thorugh the water and not even do a burnout

and to the OP...drive around the box and give them a quick cleaning (1-2secs)

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
....even more annoying is tracks where you CAN'T drive around the water box.

very much annoying. The local track here, their right lane you cannot avoid the waterbox but in the left lane you can. I only use the left lane.

I also agree with ford racer. I cut a 1.9 60' on my $84 a piece street tires before (not the ones on my car now)

snakecharmer

Established Member
wow thats really not very safe at all

No more unsafe than the fact that the particular track I'm thinking of does ZERO tech inspection.....NOTHING when they do test and tune. If you can get it to move, you can take it down the track.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
The track I go to here has a trough that goes from wall to wall making it impossible to drive around. It sucks cause the rest of the facility is really nice.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
very much annoying. The local track here, their right lane you cannot avoid the waterbox but in the left lane you can. I only use the left lane.

I also agree with ford racer. I cut a 1.9 60' on my $84 a piece street tires before (not the ones on my car now)

gulfport? Ive never ran anything there since no problem opened but i heard its a far better track then it use to be

Vettezuki

NCRS's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
wow thats really not very safe at all

That's the way it is here at my Local 1/8th mile, Irwindale. However, that track is so shockingly sticky I don't think it matters all that much. Fontana, (local 1/4 mile track) has an opening around the waterbox, but is so slippery that you have to have properly heated DRs/Slicks to have a chance of a reasonable 60'. My best there on street tires (stock pressure, no burnout) was 13.2 @ 111 with like a 2.2 60'; you simply can't launch on street tires unless you want to go sideways. . . This is why I'm asking about the burnout. Next time, I'll run a little less psi and maybe do a light burnout and see how the 60' improves.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I never used the water with DRs.
Only slicks should need water.

Another rule of thumb for the water box.

If you have groved tires, avoid it. they throw more water up under the fenders, that water drips back down on the tires.

97 slowbra

Banned
I usually drive around the water box then give the tires a quick spin to clean them off and get um a lil sticky..but look at my 60ft haahah..track does suck though :)

Last edited by a moderator:

apex632

Established Member
I've heard a couple different ways to go about your pre-stage routine with street tires on. With non dr's or slicks (like i have) I've read to go around the water box. You can go about the next part one of 2 ways. You can either just to a quick burnout to get clean the tire. The other I've read about (and this was from Ranger's website) do just enough of a burnout until you see a little bit of smoke then stop. I have done both ways and honestly my best 60ft was done using the ladder of the two methods.

ChipR4cam

Established Member
Yep around the box and dust the tires. 13.5 at 102 in a stock 01 Cobra vert on eagles doing that. It was my first time in the car too.

You basically have to beat the crap out of the clutch to get a decent 60 on true radials.

DRs Around the box, back up into the wet area in front of the box, spin the tires once, pull out(also a good piece of advise in your 'social' life), do a fairly short burnout(a second or two of smoke). I've cut high 1.6 60's on Nittos with this method.

Of course the launch is more important. It doesn't matter if you can do a proper burnout if you can't drive the car.

Last edited:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I know most do not agree and it probably does depend on each individual tire characteristics, but I do a burnout even on street tires. I have found that most do like the extra heat. Definately drive around the water box and back into it as most wide street tires will track to much water if you drive through it. With skinnies on the front I drive straight through. I recently had a 1.90 60' on my regular street tires(BFG KDW II's) and felt I could have launched even harder. I did a nice burnout on that pass. I think I could cut mid 1.8's on them.

Users who are viewing this thread