Predator interface -com set up failed-??

speedtigger

Established Member
Anybody having problems getting thier predator to talk to thier PC????
I have 3 PCs in the house and it won't talk to any of them!!!
i have set up the correct bauds and all. any suggestions???

speedtigger

Established Member
Originally posted by RickSvt
Make sure that you have the correct com port selected..

Rick

i don't know how to determine what port number is assigned to the db-9 but i did trial and error with all five listings. only two were active(1 & 3). both (1 & 3) nothing.......

the predator just says 0 bytes for a minute or so then says transfer failed.

the deevice manager shows drivers assigned and says they are functioning properly.

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I need a hot rod geek to tell me wtf i am missing here:mj:

OK guys who knows thier stuff?????

Smrgol

Do you have ActiveSync installed? You will have to stop it (through Task Manager) if so, it grabs and hangs on to the port for silly reasons only MS understands.

If you tried the permutations (port, baud rate), and it still didn't work, I'd look for some other installed software that has grabbed the port. Then I might try another serial device to verify that the port is actually working OK. Check for bent pins on the cables and port.

speedtigger

Established Member
Originally posted by dwtalso
Do you have ActiveSync installed? You will have to stop it (through Task Manager) if so, it grabs and hangs on to the port for silly reasons only MS understands.

If you tried the permutations (port, baud rate), and it still didn't work, I'd look for some other installed software that has grabbed the port. Then I might try another serial device to verify that the port is actually working OK. Check for bent pins on the cables and port.

how do you find out if the port is assigned to other software????

what the heck can i check that port with? i don't have anything that uses the antiquated db9 cable.

can i use an adapter to say a usb or some other type port? if so how do i make the the program read from that??

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Man oh man does this sound familiar. I gave up on mine and ended up taking the f**king predator to a tuner who has the latest diablosport revolution software and let him build the tune on the dyno and load it into the predator and then reflash the computer.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear but something you may want to consider as a last resort. You are going to have to take it to a dyno anyways to fine tweak the tune and check the AFR regardless. I just got plain sick and tired of dicking around with it. I am glad I did it now.

Z-COBRA

Bling & Zing
Established Member
With me it was the serial cable and the only one that worked is from Radio shack. Anyway here is the data taken from the cable itself AWM E101344 Style 2464 VW-1. I went thru all the frustration you are going thru.

speedtigger

Established Member
Originally posted by Z-COBRA
With me it was the serial cable and the only one that worked is from Radio shack. Anyway here is the data taken from the cable itself AWM E101344 Style 2464 VW-1. I went thru all the frustration you are going thru.

I thought all serial cables were the same?????

BUT MAYBE NOT check this tech page out

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/805/805hwin/serial.htm#5274

There may be a difference depending on the type of data tranfer. hard to believe!!!!
i guess i will have to try the rad shack cable and see........

the info from my cable is E133136-A AWM 2464

Last edited:

Smrgol

Originally posted by speedtigger
how do you find out if the port is assigned to other software????

The hard way :). You review what you have installed and what might use the serial port. It won't be a lot if you don't use it regularly. ActiveSync is used with PDA's and some Exchange/Outlook features. What you want to check for in Task Manager is the process called WCESCOMM.EXE.

what the heck can i check that port with? i don't have anything that uses the antiquated db9 cable.

Know someone with an old mouse? Or an Autotap would work too.

can i use an adapter to say a usb or some other type port? if so how do i make the the program read from that??

<slaps forehead> Sure, there are USB to DB9 and DB9 to USB adapters out there. If you've got a USB port open you could make another DB9 port. The driver that comes with it allows you to assign port addresses and such. In fact, my tuner uses one from Radio Shack to drive the Predators that he's programming so I know it works (I set it up :) ).

You could certainly try other cables. You might even try a real electronics shop. There are testers for serial cables and they might test it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

speedtigger

Established Member
P R O B L E M S O L V E D Thanx,ZCobra!!

Originally posted by Z-COBRA

I bought another cable. the cable was designed for modem data transfer.

It now works perfectly.

THANX ZCobra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer:

P.S. Belkin part # F2L088-10 cable & part # F2L087 adapter

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread