• 451 to 500

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • > 500

Votes: 12 11.1%

• Total voters

chvyeter

new motor almost finished
Established Member
It took me a week to pull the motor, bore cylinders, rebuild, reinstall and running all by my self. Pulling the engine sucks by yourself in grass and dirt where the engine hoist won't move.

angcobra

angcobra
Established Member
Well here is the update.
The engine still seems to be tight and we don't have everything worked out.
A very heat soaked, and still a little rich engine only put down 370 RWHP, I hope there are more ponies to be had.
At the track, you could tell I have not run one since 1978. My reaction time was all over the place .250 to .500. On street tires and a 200 lb passenger, I ran 12.6 at 110 mph with tons of spinning. I think we should be able to get in the 11s.

I will post another update in about 2 or 3 weeks when hopefully we will have some more of the bugs worked out.

Also, for the fun of I ran my 03 Cobra Vert, with the stock F1 tires and a passenger, I ran 12.7 at 112 mph. I guess that wasn't too bad considering my 60' was 2.4 and I had to get out of it to stop spinning.

angcobra

angcobra
Established Member
I am very disappointed at this time. I feel it should be more like 450 RWHP. I think it must be one of 3 things, 1) not enough air, intake or small SC, 2) SC robbing too much power, it seems very hard to turn, 3) exhaust restrictive.
I am open to suggestions.

Air to Fuel Ratio was good on dyno, I had plenty of fuel with the 42#ers. The boost was reading 7# on the climb. The high boost could be a sign of restriction in the intake or exhaust. The belt squeals on the SC on almost every startup, the belt stretches and needs more adjustment after just a few minutes, this could be a sign of high friction in the SC.

My first try to get the HP I should have is to change the Typhoon intake. I have on the way a Edelbrok Victor 5.0 intake. It should be here next week. I decided to start with it because of the higher than expected boost measured in the upper intake which may indicate restriction in the lower intake. The Victor 5.0 intake is designed for 400 to 550 HP, which should be where I want to be.

angcobra

angcobra
Established Member
nasty said:
angcobra,what did that new engine setup run you? if you dont mind me asking.
I went all out with the machine work and forged internals. I got $6K in the machine work and internals.

Last edited:

angcobra

angcobra
Established Member
Update.
Vortech S-Trim with 3.33 pulley made 415 RWHP. Big difference in the torque and HP curve before it was all the way to 6200 RPM to make 376 RWHP now it makes 415 RWHP at 5300 RPM. I may run this for a while and then pulley up.

boosted98gt

Tina-come get your food!
Established Member
Are you seeing the same amount of boost? Did you install a new belt when you put the S-trim on?

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
wow nice.. still I kinda was hoping for more power... weird.

angcobra

angcobra
Established Member
fuelonempty said:
wow nice.. still I kinda was hoping for more power... weird.

I built it with low compression (9.1/1) to allow for the boost. As it is showing, it needs the boost to make big numbers.

bmnlsc

FlyinPig
Established Member
angcobra said:
Update. Vortech S-Trim with 3.33 pulley made 415 RWHP. Big difference in the torque and HP curve before it was all the way to 6200 RPM to make 376 RWHP now it makes 415 RWHP at 5300 RPM. I may run this for a while and then pulley up.

Something is definitely not running right on your setup. A 347 with an S-trim making 415RWHP...something is afoot - Watson!!

I have the following setup:
FMS 345hp Crate Motor (302), Vortech S-Trim w/6 pound pulley, 38lb injectors, Pro-M 80mm Meter, Cobra Intake, AFR 165cc Heads, 1.6 rockers, 2.5" exhaust system, BTM set at 1.5....I dyno'ed at 391/397. Both numbers were made prior to 6000rpm. All this with a backyard tune.

I later installed the Anderson Powerpipe (giving me 8 pounds of boost) and 1.72 rockers. So right now, I would guess I am past your numbers in both HP and TQ (even though you didnt mention TQ numbers).

Mustang Magic wants to up my pulley to the 9 pounder, which will actually bring me to 10 to 11 pounds of boost with the Anderson Pipe. They say with their "Chip and Tune", I should have 470 RWHP and close to 500 RWTQ.

To further compare your setup, my friend has a 331 Stroker, primarily the same setup I mentioned above as mine (same heads, exhaust, rockers, etc), however, he has the Vortech A-Trim (9lbs) and made close to 500 rwhp.

I would definitely check your timing and fuel pressure...something does not seem right with the numbers you are getting...especially from a 347.

BMN

Here is my motor shot..

411342_271_full.jpg

angcobra

angcobra
Established Member
Been a while since I posted, the problem was cam timing, the cam timing was allowing some of the fuel charge to be pushed into the headers and burned there. Same engine, different cam timing, now in 86 GT with C4 and NOVI 2000 SC is running 6.33 @ 109 in 1/8th.

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
SQ Stang said:
Believe me, things will take longer than you intend. I had planned on 2 months...it ended up being 3 months. i swear these people that build engines don't work fast at all if it's not their car. They work as slow as they can since you most likely already paid the money for it to be done.
tell me about it I had a shop reubild my 5.0 in my past 94 GT and it took like 3 1/2 but their car took like two days from start to tune. THAT's CRAP

Users who are viewing this thread