Prev. owner rebuilt my engine w/ hyper. pistons, need advice

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Ok,

I'm still saling my car "half-heartedly," and so I may just keep it 'cause I'm sorta "glued" to it (you know what I mean). Well, the previous owner rebuilt my engine about 6k miles ago (before I bought it of course). He said he took it apart, had the crankshaft polished, put new bearings in, and he put hyperteunic pistons in (b/c he couldn't afford new forged ones at the time). So, I have a question, I'm not in to all the upgrading the heads, intake, yata yata right now, I want to supercharge my engine (MM&FF "Blown Stock & Ready to Rock" article comes to mind). Well, I was wondering what the best option for me to do was? When he rebuilt the engine, he didn't bore the cylinders (he said they were fine) so do you think I can just use the same block, have them bored 0.30 over, and put forged pistons, and maybe manly h-beam rods if I can afford them in it? Or, do you think I should just order a 302/306 from Alternative Automotive that already has forged pistons. I have an engine stand so I suppose I'll tackle all installation myself (to save money, but of course I'll have a professional dyno tune the engine w/ the SCer on it for safety). So, any suggestion? I don't really think I want to try to use the hypertuenic pistons w/ the supercharger. I'm not wanting to run a lot of boost, maybe 6-8#s for now though. Thanks for the help in advance :D

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Oh, he didn't bore the cylinders, but he did hone them and the usual prep stuff. I may wind up keeping my car for the rest of my life so it will be valuable one day :D Who knows :shrug:

:rolling:

89supernotch

Established Member
You should be fine the way it is now, as long as you dont go putting any NO2 to it. If you want to run NO2 i would out the H-beam rods and forged pistons. A friend of mine is running 8lbs on a stock motor/AOD with 75k on it. The only problem he has is getting the rear wheels to bite when he steps on the loud pedal. With 6k on the motor, you could run 8 to 10 lbs of boost with no problem.

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Yay, I think I'm going to go w/ the Paxton Novi 1000 for now ($1700). Do you think that's a good price? That's the lowest price I've been quoted. :D

Thanks for everything :)

hotrodcobra

Established Member
I have ran a blower on my stock long block, including hypertectic pistons for over 10 years and never less than 10#s of boost. I recently split the block from too much hp, but the pistons and all internals were fine. Put a blower on it and have fun. I do.;-) :beer:
They are fine as long as you stay away from detonation.

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Great. Yeah people usually do split 302 blocks w/ over 500hp. I plan on staying in the high 300s to low 400s in hp, and then later when I have more money buying a Dart 302 block and build on that (sine it can hold well over 500hp) :thumbsup: Thanks for the advice

Users who are viewing this thread