Pridemore54's Cobra Build

pridemore54

Established Member
I’m re-reading my own build thread from this winter.

I also thought my MGW was an upgrade from the Steeda shifter.

Great updates. Glad you got the rear end all figured out. I felt bad for you.

When is the dyno tune?
Kinda sucked having to jump straight into something like that but I also enjoyed it as it helps make the car my own instead of something someone else built. The worst part has been the timing of when the car is up and down. Weather was nice here when I discovered the leak and the fluid level was suspect at best so I avoided driving. Now that it's done, we have tons of rain and weather in the 30's this week (cue eyeroll).

Hopefully I'll get her on the dyno this spring. Been keeping my eye out for dyno events or the like. The tune that's on it is pretty damn good so I didn't see the use in paying for a whole new one just to get dyno numbers.

Last edited:

pridemore54

Established Member
Update:

Over the weekend I installed an O/R X pipe from BBK that came with the car and a brand new set of Borla Stingers. It sounds really good, however I can't lie those Borla ATAK'S with high flow cats were perfect sounding. Didn't want to keep the cats myself though so off they went, plus the midpipe with cats was bent at the flange and ticking like crazy.

Refilled the supercharger oil today as well. Level was low for some reason, not sure why. Will keep an eye on it to see if it's an appreciable rate of loss or not.

Next up is the Firewall Adjuster and clutch cable quadrant. Then gotta figure out why I'm fraying belts every few months.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Fraying belts is usually an alignment issue. But maybe your tensioner is starting to give out.

pridemore54

Established Member
Fraying belts is usually an alignment issue. But maybe your tensioner is starting to give out.
Yup, my gates alignment tool just came in.

The new gates green belt I bought off Amazon came with a 3 year warranty for 3 dollars.

So whenever I fray this one, I'm gonna take it off and send it in for a free replacement, and while I'm waiting on the new belt I'll figure out which pulley is out of alignment. Hopefully nothing down low.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I'm thankful I haven't had any belt issues. Seems way to common on these cars for some reason. I have an aftermarket Alternator, Billet idlers, aftermarket blower, new tensioner. I feel bad for folks who have alignment issues...does not sound fun at all.

pridemore54

Established Member
I'm thankful I haven't had any belt issues. Seems way to common on these cars for some reason. I have an aftermarket Alternator, Billet idlers, aftermarket blower, new tensioner. I feel bad for folks who have alignment issues...does not sound fun at all.
Yeah I feel you there. I'm very thankful not to be having alternator issues and I'm glad I'm not outright shredding the belts, leaving me stranded. After ~500 miles the first fray appears and it starts to squeak on up revs for downshifts.

pridemore54

Established Member
I've been slacking and am a few months behind on updates.

I found that one of my top Metco idler pullies had developed slop in the bearing and was likely not helping things with the belt issue.

I ended up getting a new 100mm double-bearing pulley as well as the Metco Tensioner Plate. It has been about 500 miles and several pulls with no noticeable belt fray. So hopefully that issue has been resolved for now.

Moving on from that, I discovered a leak in my meth hose. Apparently when it had originally chafed through one of my wires and grounded out, causing a super heat condition, it also grounded out at the radiator when the steel-braided hose was touching the corner.

I have since replaced the lower hose and taken proper precautions to ensure there is no more chafing issues with that system. Just glad it didn't result in a fire.

Just crossed over 73k miles on the odo yesterday

Last edited:

pridemore54

Established Member
Current/Winter to-do list:

- I am suspecting my clutch cable is stretched and needs replaced. The firewall adjuster and quadrant still aren't doing the trick for my first and reverse gear struggles. I'm also gonna replace tranny fluid soon to see if it helps. The adjuster install was a whole issue as well cause the original one UPR sent me didn't even fit right. After threading out where I needed it, it started hitting the valve cover. So that was fun.

If anyone has a lead on a good condition OEM cable please let me know. I am so tired of struggling to get into first and reverse.

- Exhaust leak. I think it's at the head to midpipe connection on driver's side. That flange has a dent so I assume that is what's causing it. So I could also use a lead for nice x-pipe that fits long tube headers to Borla Stingers. Tired of the damn ticking and low speed under load.

- Locate the damn meth pump control box. Not sure where they hid that thing and I'm sure a future tuner will need to get eyes on it or its settings.

- MSD 2-step still isn't working. Possibly related to the clutch cable being stretched and so it can't tell I have the clutch engaged?

- Steering wheel has some weird vertical vibration at about 40mph when I first start driving. I'm thinking maybe the driveshaft/differential angle isn't 100% right after I installed the diff.

- Car came with a racing harness installed to a couple points between the upper and lower rear seat cushions (not a roll bar). Not sure if it's truly safe or not to use and need to put some research into it. Don't wanna just submarine under it.

- Then just oil and plugs. Gotta figure out what plugs are installed and current gaps since they seem to work well for this setup.

Oh yeah and figure out how to fund all this while being newly engaged and needing to plan a wedding. Hooray

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the vibration goes away after a few miles it's more than likely flat spots on the tires. Mine does that when I let it sit for a couple weeks.

The cable shouldn't affect the 2 step. It should be activated by one of the switches that the clutch itself activates.

pridemore54

Established Member
If the vibration goes away after a few miles it's more than likely flat spots on the tires. Mine does that when I let it sit for a couple weeks.

The cable shouldn't affect the 2 step. It should be activated by one of the switches that the clutch itself activates.
That's a good point. It was weird to me how how it was just a straight up and down vibration in the steering wheel. Wasn't sure what to make of it.

Yeah I wasn't sure if that stretched cable might somehow prevent me from tripping the switch. I need to do some research on those switches and take a look at them.

Users who are viewing this thread