Prior Enlisted: Thinking of Going Reserve

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Irregardless isn't a word. Regardless is the proper word. There's no meaning to irregardless because regardless covers what you're trying to say. Regardless means "without regard". "Ir" is a negative prefix. If you say irregardless you're saying without without regard which is a double negative.

It's not the company's problem. Taxes cover all the services which are provided by a volunteer service. As bad practice as it may be, it's still wrong to hold a business hostage to make choices in their best interest. No one forces you to join, why force a company to suffer? That's the definition of selfish.

Last edited:

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Irregardless isn't a word. Regardless is the proper word. There's no meaning to irregardless because regardless covers what you're trying to say. Regardless means "without regard". "Ir" is a negative prefix. If you say irregardless you're saying without without regard which is a double negative.

It's not the company's problem. Taxes cover all the services which are provided by a volunteer service. As bad practice as it may be, it's still wrong to hold a business hostage to make choices in their best interest. No one forces you to join, why force a company to suffer? That's the definition of selfish.

I hyper linked to Webster, short of digging up a zombie Shakespeare that's pretty much it.

There are plenty of places that don't hold you hostage on your hiring choices, there is a reason no one wants to live there. At least in our system your competitors get to suffer too.

Superhawk2002

Established Member
I think you should stick it out, especially since you have a great job. I had the same restless feeling after about a year of being out too. 9 years later I'm perplexed at how I ever considered going back in.

As far as your employer, reservists are a PITA to work around. This is especially true if you work shift work because they're going to have to eff some other guy(s) to cover your shift during drill. I know I'll never hire one and the few we've had presented more difficulties than is worth it.

I have never been at or worked for an organization that had any issues -- from automotive to distribution to printing, with as few as 60 employees to 4000.

I have considered going back in more and more every year I am out. First active, then National Guard (Recruiting/Retention NCO at that), working around employees drill dates are not a problem. What unit does not post their drill dates at least 8 months in advance (early in the year we all knew all of our dates, including the 2 weeks)?

I agree that a company should be free to make a decision based on availability. If a company cannot schedule around someone's long known day/weekend that is needed off, there is more of a problem with the company than the soldier. Seriously, how hard is it to schedule correctly? Coordinate the work days around drill weekends. It's no different than taking a vacation day for Friday/weekend. And yes, I manage a large corporate facility and we deal with Guard/Reserve guys all the time.

OP -- Do what is right for you. If you want to join a Guard or Reserve unit, do so because it's something that is important and valid to you. More doors will open than close because of your service. You will not have any issues with employment.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I have never been at or worked for an organization that had any issues -- from automotive to distribution to printing, with as few as 60 employees to 4000.

I have considered going back in more and more every year I am out. First active, then National Guard (Recruiting/Retention NCO at that), working around employees drill dates are not a problem. What unit does not post their drill dates at least 8 months in advance (early in the year we all knew all of our dates, including the 2 weeks)?

I agree that a company should be free to make a decision based on availability. If a company cannot schedule around someone's long known day/weekend that is needed off, there is more of a problem with the company than the soldier. Seriously, how hard is it to schedule correctly? Coordinate the work days around drill weekends. It's no different than taking a vacation day for Friday/weekend. And yes, I manage a large corporate facility and we deal with Guard/Reserve guys all the time.

OP -- Do what is right for you. If you want to join a Guard or Reserve unit, do so because it's something that is important and valid to you. More doors will open than close because of your service. You will not have any issues with employment.

It's not so much a problem figuring out scheduling as you're effing someone else on their time off. The problems we've had in the past are that the schedule has to made months in advance and then the CO will decide for whatever reason to switch the drill weekend. You can't tell someone with orders they can't go so guess what, you get to tell someone else that may very well have bought plane tickets for a weekend getaway with their wife who is threatening divorce because they never spend time together "tango sierra, you're working". It's not right. Our department is so advanced there's no one else that can be brought in to augment.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Katy you really have a terrible attitude about the entire thing but what ever. USERRA was created to protect service members from people LIKE YOU.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
An attitude about the big picture and freedom? If that's what you mean then I'm guilty as charged. I've done my time in hell, I never expected to be catered to or have my special interests imposed on others.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
An attitude about the big picture and freedom? If that's what you mean then I'm guilty as charged. I've done my time in hell, I never expected to be catered to or have my special interests imposed on others.

What's the bigger picture, your companies well being or having a reserve military force willing to put their life on hold to deploy and fight for the flag?

Users who are viewing this thread