Pro-5.0 or MGW shifter: Which is the best shifter, when powershifting?

IZZY

Established Member
Because your Cobras and our Machs are similar, I wanted to hear from the New Edge Cobra crowd on this matter. For those of that have had the opportunity to powershift both the Pro-5.0 and the MGW shifter, which would you consider the best, when doing so? In my opinion, the 2-3 powershift has always been the greatest concern.

As with all their products, the MGW shifter is practically a work of art, however, I'd like to get beyond its beauty. From a purely powershifting standpoint, do they outperform the Pro-5.0? The Pro-5.0 established itself as a drag racers workhorse long ago and I wonder if it's now out-performed by the MGW shifter. So, drag racers, street racers and powershifters jump in here and post your experiences, as well as thoughts. Thanks in advance.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I ordered a Steeda comfort handle for my pro 5.0 after sitting in my buddies Mach. I think it'll help.

I've installed a few MGW's but never driven one.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
I ordered a Steeda comfort handle for my pro 5.0 after sitting in my buddies Mach. I think it'll help.

I've installed a few MGW's but never driven one.
I thought you snapped your 5.0?

bssmith1220

Established Member
I have always had pro 5.0 shifters, but I have a mgw in the mial, so I'll let you know!!!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
grimreefer said:
I thought you snapped your 5.0?

I ended up popping out the centering spring. I fixed it. Pro 5.0 told me that if it happens again they will replace my shifter for free just as long as I send the old one back in so they can find out what went wrong.

snake bite 03

i have a blu thunder shifter from UPR and i love it, i have never missed a 2 3 power shift with it and it was only 100 bucks...

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
I ended up popping out the centering spring. I fixed it. Pro 5.0 told me that if it happens again they will replace my shifter for free just as long as I send the old one back in so they can find out what went wrong.
:coolman: ...although I thought we had you swung over to the MGW side. ;-)

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
grimreefer said:
:coolman: ...although I thought we had you swung over to the MGW side. ;-)

If my pro 5.0 was truly broken I woulda bought one.

I can't justify replacing something like that when its not broken. or stock.

Redhot91gt

Established Member
I installed a friends MGW in for him and drove it.. Its a great quality shifter, But if you want really really short throws then get a pro 50. The MGW just isnt as short of a throw. So I guess if drag racing is all you wanted it for, I would think the pro50 would be easier to powershift. just my $.02

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
the mgw allows you to position the knob in a better place so you don't have to reach to shift fast.

the mgw is as short as the pro 5.0 and i love it much more than the pro 5.0.

I have had both, and like i said, no comparison

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
I have a pro 5.0 in my 01 cobra and a MGW in my 04 cobra and to be honest with you I love them both. I have had no problems with either. Both give me exactly what was looking for in a short shifter. :beer:

As for powershifting the pro 5.0 is a bit easier for me, but really only b/c I am more used to the pro 5.0 then I am the MGW.

Last edited:

Redhot91gt

Established Member
quadcammer said:
the mgw allows you to position the knob in a better place so you don't have to reach to shift fast.

the mgw is as short as the pro 5.0 and i love it much more than the pro 5.0.

I have had both, and like i said, no comparison
Oh so they are the same throw? I coulda sworn my friends pro 50 was way shorter than my other friends mgw.. But maybe it was his handle.

Users who are viewing this thread