Pro 5.0 + Steeda Tri-Ax combo question

bkaul

Established Member
I've got an '01 Cobra with the 3650 transmission, and am contemplating better shifters. I've heard good things about several, but it seems the Tri-Ax and Pro 5.0 are the most common. The MGW is getting a bit of mention recently, but reviews seem more mixed than with the former two.

The one downside I hear repeatedly about the Pro 5.0 is the handle location - too far from the driver, especially if you're tall and need the seat very far back. I rather think that the stock shifter is a bit more of a reach than I'd prefer in 5th gear (manageable, but not ergonomically ideal), so this sounds like a deal-breaker.

The Tri-Ax, on the other hand, the complaints seem to revolve around the shifting feel/notchiness being inferior to the Pro 5.0 for some people, but the handle position looks great - better even than the alternate Pro 5.0 handle.

So I was thinking perhaps a Pro 5.0 shifter with a Steeda Tri-Ax handle could be a good solution. Is anyone here running such a setup? If so, what do you think of it?

Last edited:

Predatorbird

Established Member
Yes that combo will work just fine. cobrasvtcoupe25 has a Pro 5.0 with MGW adj. handle on his car. I have the same handle with my stock shifter and I'm looking for a cheap Pro 5.0. Based on what I've seen in pics the Pro 5.0 handle goes straight up and doesn't angle back making it harder to reach. The Tri-Ax handle will bolt on just fine to the shifter.

bkaul

Established Member
Thanks. That's what I surmised from pictures too. I figured worst case, if the holes were spaced differently or something, it wouldn't be too hard to modify the aluminum handle to make it work. Just wanted to be sure there wasn't something others had run into that I wasn't considering, and see if anyone liked/disliked a similar setup.

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
I did something similar in my old 5.0. I had a pro5.0 base, and I took a stock handle and welded up the holes. I then redrilled the holes higher on the shaft to make the throw shorter, and I also offset the holes to make the shifter come back further. That was the best shifter setup I have had in any mustang. My cobra came with a mgw shifter and I'm too lazy now to change it.

Users who are viewing this thread