pro motin transmissions?

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
I was wanting everyones advise on a trans for my car, a 98 cobra with a t45. I allready have a shifter and aluminum driveshaft for it so I was thinking of getting the pro motion t45 that will handle 750hp. is this a good idea or would I be better off to step up and buy a tremec? anyone know about the quality of these trans? thanks for the help

the donkk

Established Member
It depends on how long you want to wait for a trans. I ordered one and waited a month and it still wasnt done. I cancelled my order and went with a D&D T56 and had it within 3 days. Im glad i did, I couldnt be happier with it.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Hmm im sorry to hear that i had planned on using them when the time came but i will never be ready to wait a month on a trans for my daily driver cobra.

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
HOW MUCH DID THE T56 END UP COSTING FOR ALL THE PARTS NECESSARY AND DID IT COME WITH A SHORT SHIFTER OR NOT? THANKS FOR THE HELP i;M NOT SURE IF I'D WANT TO WAIT A MONTH OR MORE FOR A TRANSMISSION EITHER. THANKS

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
I'm in the same boat,either rebuild my T-45.Or slap a T-56 in it,i'm leaning toward the T-56.And D&D will be where i go...

the donkk

Established Member
It cost around $3200 shipped, it comes with a shifter. Im gonna upgrade to an MGW later on but the one with the tranny is ok for now. You get an aluminum driveshaft and tranny mount with the kit, but if you want to wire up the reverse lockout you have to buy the harness seperately. Other than modifying the crossmember and buying tranny fluid thats all you need.

FSSNK

Established Member
I have a Pro-Motion T-45 in my 97 and it is awesome! I did have to wait for awhile because of the upgraded 26 spline output shaft being on backorder., but it didnt matter because of the other 3 cars I have to drive. I would recommend them highly and customer service is top notch, before and after the sale. Contact Wally and he will hook you up. Just my .02 worth.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
What did the promotion unit costs total if you dont mind my asking how much work did you do? they rebuilt it im assuming?

50 Proof

Established Member
I was going back and forth on this for awhile with my Cobra as well, simply so I can plan ahead for when my T-45 does break.

Aside from the fact that people were saying you have to clearance your tranny tunnel on an SN95 to fit a T56 up in there...

The only advantage i've found for going with a T56 is for the strength. The 6th gear is stupid. You can get a T56 with a 6th gear that'll bring your RPMs way down while cruising on the freeway, but you'll have to get it with a shitty 1st gear that'll basically reduce your overall gear ratio and make your car a complete DOG off the line.
OR
You can get a T56 with a better 1st gear (2.95?) that wont make your car a dog off the line, but the 6th gear ratio will be comparable to the 5th gear ratio on the T45; making the 6th gear pointless because it wont bring your RPMs down on freeway cruising anymore than a T45 will.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
To compensate for the tall 1st gear of the T-56, all you need to do is go with 4.30 or 4.56 rear gears.

I was all about sticking with my T-45 until a few months ago when it blew up for the second time after being rebuilt with all upgraded shit less than a year ago. I drive the shit out of this thing and that seems to be what kills the T-45.

You can get a T-56 for around 2K with the Viper 5th and 6th gears which will bring your RPM's way down on the highway and go with 4.30 or 4.56 rear gears so that first through fourth gears are monsters. It's a much stronger tranny that you can actually power shift too, which will be a welcome change.

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
Ciotti said:
To compensate for the tall 1st gear of the T-56, all you need to do is go with 4.30 or 4.56 rear gears.

I was all about sticking with my T-45 until a few months ago when it blew up for the second time after being rebuilt with all upgraded shit less than a year ago. I drive the shit out of this thing and that seems to be what kills the T-45.

You can get a T-56 for around 2K with the Viper 5th and 6th gears which will bring your RPM's way down on the highway and go with 4.30 or 4.56 rear gears so that first through fourth gears are monsters. It's a much stronger tranny that you can actually power shift too, which will be a welcome change.

who did the rebuild?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
why does everybody swing on D&D's nuts.

They are overpriced as hell.

www.rpmtransmissions.com can build you a viper spec T-56 for much less than D&D's setups and they have good customer service and quick shipping. I have one of their 03 style t-56s and I like it.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
+1 on RPM, I've only ever heard great things about them and they are who I'm going with for my T-56.

A local guy who builds a lot of racing trannies and rear ends rebuilt mine, it was originally rebuilt because the synchros were toast and I broke the 3-4 shift fork, and in less than a year third gear started grinding like hell, popping out of third and the shifter jams between 1st and 3rd on hard 2-3 shifts. Also, when he rebuilt it he noticed that it was not the factory tranny, so the previous owner had to replace the dam thing at some point as well.

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
quadcammer said:
why does everybody swing on D&D's nuts.

They are overpriced as hell.

www.rpmtransmissions.com can build you a viper spec T-56 for much less than D&D's setups and they have good customer service and quick shipping. I have one of their 03 style t-56s and I like it.

How much would it run for an RPM unit? and what else would you need to put it in a SN-95, besides just moving the crossmember???

FSSNK

Established Member
shipwreck17 said:
What did the promotion unit costs total if you dont mind my asking how much work did you do? they rebuilt it im assuming?
Around $1300.00. I delivered and picked it up as I am only 2 1/2 hours away. I would recommend Pro-Motion transmissions.

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
FSSNK said:
I have a Pro-Motion T-45 in my 97 and it is awesome! I did have to wait for awhile because of the upgraded 26 spline output shaft being on backorder., but it didnt matter because of the other 3 cars I have to drive. I would recommend them highly and customer service is top notch, before and after the sale. Contact Wally and he will hook you up. Just my .02 worth.
Did you get the proshift upgrade? either way in your opinion it shifts better than stock right? if so I guess i can wait. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread